Tuesday, January 4, 2022

If Horse Rhymed With Shorts

Terence whispers his poem The Last Thoughts of Quarz to Roo-kai.

Hmm, says Roo-kai, when Terence stops whispering.

Good isn't it, says Terence. 

It would be, says Roo-kai. If horse rhymed with shorts.

Why doesn't it? asks Terence.

What's this ? asks Gaius, munching on his quarter apple.

Terence's poem, says Roo-kai. He thinks horse rhymes with shorts.

I thought the poem was Last Thoughts of Quartz, says Gaius.

Quarz, says Roo-kai. German. Rhymes with farts, not shorts. Another problem.

So that explains the shorts, says Gaius.

How? asks Sweezus, who until now has tried not to listen.

Not quite rhyming with horse, says Gaius. 

Why is there a horse in it? asks Sweezus.

Because I still want one, says Terence. 

A horse is the last thing Quarz would have been thinking about, says Sweezus.

How do you know? asks Terence. He was going to give me three wishes.

Lucky he drowned then, says Sweezus.

He's not DROWNED, says Terence. He's waiting.

Okay, says Sweezus. Think what you like. But how do the shorts fit in, apart from not rhyming?

You'll find out, says Terence. So can I say my poem first?

If you shut up until we get to Dubbo, says Sweezus.

Yay! says Terence. I get to go first: 


THE LAST THOUGHTS OF QUARZ

O how I love Terence

He wears gecko shorts

I gave him three wishes

And one was a horse.

It wasn’t his fault I fell into the swimming hole.


It that it? asks Sweezus.

But now Terence can't answer.


No comments: