Friday, January 7, 2022

Big Bogan

Gaius is driving the camper. 

You could go faster, says Sweezus. The limit's a hundred.

I'm just being cautious, says Gaius. Because of my licence.

Yeah, says Sweezus. I forgot. You ought to renew it.

Yes, says Gaius. But it's not just a question of renewal. I believe it lapsed years ago.

We'll swap back before we hit Dubbo, says Sweezus. How far out are we?

Not far, says Gaius. 

Yay! says Terence. 

No talking, says Sweezus.

Yay isn't talking, says Terence.

Wanna hear my poem? asks Sweezus.

No, says Terence.

Yes, says Gaius. 

Sweezus recites his ODE TO A DROPPED ROCK.

Very good, says Gaius. 

Terence is poking Roo-kai.

What? says Roo-kai.

It's got a rude word in it, says Terence.

I noticed, says Roo-kai.

I'm a grown up, says Sweezus.

Not fair, says Terence. You're not the winner.

Mine's not finished yet, says Gaius. I want to add a second verse, in the voice of the crystal.

Who's judging? asks Sweezus.

I'll do it, says Roo-kai. Because I'm no good at poems. But we'll have to wait until Gaius has finished his second verse in the voice of the crystal.

That's reasonable, says Gaius.

Are you doing it now? asks Terence.

Not while I'm driving, says Gaius. I'll complete it in Dubbo. 

I'll call Arthur, says Sweezus. Find out where we're meeting.

He calls Arthur.

We're nearly in Dubbo, says Sweezus.

We've been here for hours, says Arthur. 

Yeah well, we stopped in Nyngan, says Sweezus.

Not much in Nyngan, says Arthur.

I know, says Sweezus. We were sleeping.

Except the Big Bogan, says Arthur.

What's that? asks Sweezus.

A controversial statue, says Arthur.

Too bad we missed it, says Sweezus. What's that noise?

Animals, says Arthur. We got bored and came to the zoo.

How much to get in? asks Sweezus. 

Forty three dollars twenty, says Arthur.

Each? says Sweezus.  

Each, says Arthur.

No way, says Sweezus. Where can we meet that's not there?

Out the front, says Arthur. Call me again when you get here.

A hooting sound is heard, which could be a monkey.


No comments: