Tuesday, January 18, 2022

Two Bees In A Jam Jar

Terence is bored.

He keeps snapping his bracelet.

Only three hours to go, says Gaius. And we'll be in Taree.

Snap snap, goes Terence.

But before that, says Gaius, we shall pass mountains, rivers  and freshwater lakes.

Snap, snap.

Bulahdulah Mountain, for example, says Gaius.

Intriguing name, says Wittgenstein. What does it mean?

Meeting place of two rivers, says Gaius.

The Bulah and the Dulah, says Wittgenstein.

An unlikely interpretation, says Gaius.

Snap snap.

May I have a turn with the bracelet? asks Gaius.

Why? asks Terence.

It seems to me it's my turn, says Gaius.

You just want to stop me snapping, says Terence.

Correct, says Gaius. I shall set an example and wear it without snapping.

You have to snap it once, says Terence.

And only once, says Gaius.

Here it is, says Terence. It's your turn.

Gaius takes the snap bracelet from Terence. Snaps it onto his wrist. SNAP! 

It's too tight. He would like to release it, but that would mean snapping it again.

Look out of the window, says Gaius.

I am, says Terence. Is there anything big coming?

The mountain, says Gaius. We'll be passing it shortly.

Ha ha, laughs Terence.

What's so funny? asks Wittgenstein.

Shortly, says Terence.

I see, says Wittgenstein. A word game.

Cannot but be, says Terence.

What's this about cannot but be? asks Wittgenstein. A running joke?

Cannot but be, says Terence.

That's not how you usually play it, says Gaius. This new way its better.

Cannot but be, says Terence.

How does he usually play it? asks Wittgenstein. 

You don't want to know, says Gaius. 

I do, says Wittgenstein. It may help to relieve my growing stiffness.

Then I shall try to explain, says Gaius. Terence asks a question, usually with a bee in it somewhere.

You mean a sting? asks Wittgenstein.

Nothing so crafty, says Gaius. Something like, what if there were two bees in a jam jar?

I don't know that one, says Terence.

I made it up as an example, says Gaius.

And the answer? asks Wittgenstein.

Always the same answer, says Gaius.

Cannot but be? asks Wittgenstein. 

Cannot but BEES, says Terence.

Ridiculous, says Wittgenstein. This game cries out for improvement.


No comments: