Tuesday, October 8, 2024

You'll Always Wonder

It's a  good story so far, says the tinker. When is it ending?

When we get there, says Baby Pierre. 

Across the Nullarbor, or all the way to Adelaide? asks the tinker.

When Ouvert and I reach the end of the Nullarbor, says Baby Pierre. 

What happens then? asks the tinker.

Nothing. That's the end, says Baby Pierre.

An anouncement comes through, from the captain. 

We will shortly be arriving in Adelaide where the temperature is a fine twenty six degrees and the time will be....crackle crackle.

Already! says the tinker. That was a short journey.

Six hours, forty five minutes, says Rosa. Not that short. Has Baby Pierre finished his story?

No I haven't, says Baby Pierre. But I will. Where was I?

On a smelly black road, says the tinker. You did a good description. 

But you gave up on the mystery about Ouvert being your cousin, says Rosa. 

I didn't give up, says Baby Pierre. I resolved it.

By saying you didn't care, says Rosa.

And he didn't care, says Baby Pierre. 

Will you be showing the story to Ouvert? asks the tinker.

Maybe one day, says Baby Pierre.

He might not like it, says the tinker.

You should think about that, says Rosa. 

It's my story, says Baby Pierre. 

But you put a real person in it, says Rosa.

It might not be him, says Baby Pierre.

He'll always wonder, says the tinker. I would.

Would you, says Baby Pierre. If what?

If I was in your story, says the tinker.

Why is everyone so annoying ? says Baby Pierre. Shut up and let me write the ending.

He starts to write (very small): We were now approaching the end of the Nullarbor. We had crossed it and not died. This alone was a great achievement. Ouvert thanked me for keeping him motivated, by talking of our shared memories some of which had not even happened. That's all right I said and look who is waiting for us at the end of the Nullarbor, it's a girl frog, or is it? When we drew closer, it was. 

Is that frog supposed to be me? asks the tinker.

You'll always wonder, says Baby Pierre.


No comments: