Thursday, October 17, 2024

You'll Be Underneath Me

Now I need to write it down, says Baby Pierre.

We can work on it together, says Ouvert. 

No we can't, says Baby Pierre. I know what you'll do.

What will I do? asks Ouvert.

You'll try to make yourself more important, says Baby Pierre.

More equal, says Ouvert. 

You can't be MORE equal, says Baby Pierre. 

The tinker hops down from the window sill, leaving them to it.

I'm ready to go now, says the tinker.

Good, says Rookai. Say your farewells and we'll get going.

Goodbye Gaius, says the tinker. Thanks for the adventures

Goodbye Kroombit tinker, says Gaius. Safe journey home. And I trust the adventurous life you've led lately won't leave you restless.

If it does, says the tinker, I'll set out again on my travels.

I advise against it, says Gaius. You are an endangered species. You need to settle in Kroombit Tops and procreate.

We'll see, says the tinker.

She follows Rookai into the garden, where Terence is waiting to see them off.

Goodbye Terence, says the tinker. Thank you for letting me be house mother to the pobblebonks.

Until they died, says Terence.

First I've heard about this, says Rookai.

I'll tell you all about it as we're flying, says the tinker.

I may not hear you, says Rookai. I'll be flying quite fast, and you'll be underneath me.

Well, they died, says the tinker. But it wasn't my fault.

No, it wasn't, says Terence. And it wasn't my fault either.

That's cleared that up, says Rookai. Goodbye Terence. I'll be back in a couple of days.

I'm going to Tasmania, says Terence.

I know, says Rookai. 

With Gaius and another adult who can swim, says Terence.

Do we know who yet? asks Rookai. 

Not yet, says Terence.

Bye then, says Rookai. 

Bye! says the tinker.

Rookai takes off and disappears over Gaius's rooftop.

For a long time the tinker continues to wave.


No comments: