Sunday, December 1, 2013

How To Feel Twenty Years Younger

But the sunset is so beautiful. So what if he is late for the meeting? Gaius stops. Sits down on the seawall next to Jazzman.

Ah, nature, says Gaius. So beautiful. What were you saying?

I was saying, says Jazzman, that I am always early.

Nothing wrong with that, says Gaius. It means that you're reliable. A quality I find admirable in a person.

To be on time is reliable, says Jazzman. Not to be early.

No one's perfect, says Gaius.

This sets him thinking about Arthur. Where is he? And Sweezus?

Lap, lap. The sound of water lapping. Perhaps the tide is turning.

My two young friends are missing, says Gaius. I don't suppose you've seen them? They were walking northwards.

I might've. What do they look like? asks Jazzman.

The younger one is wearing orange shorts, says Gaius. The older one needs a haircut.

I haven't seen them, says Jazzman. Maybe you walked past them? Maybe they were swimming?

Maybe they were, says Gaius. I wasn't paying attention. I was thinking about being late for the meeting.

Is it the meeting about the cuttlies? says Jazzman.

Yes, I'm reading my report, says Gaius. This one.

He takes the report out of his backpack.

Jazzman reads it slowly.

A seagull squawks. Squawk! The water laps gently.

Crikey, says Jazzman. This'll put the cat among the pigeons!

Gaius looks alarmed.

He grabs the report back from Jazzman, and is just about to read it when.....

Bandy and Snook turn up, with squidjigs.

Bro! says Snook. You got here early!

You know me, says Jazzman.

Hey hey! sniggers Bandy. You always come early.

Gaius stands up.

I'm late, says Gaius. Goodbye men, and happy fishing.

He turns, to see two familiar figures.

One is in orange shorts, the other needs a haircut.

Over here! says Snook. Did you guys bring an esky?

Shit, says Sweezus, I knew there was something......

I've got a torch, says Arthur.

Where have you two been? says Gaius. I walked for hours.

You must have missed us, says Arthur. We were swimming. Then we went to the pub.

Ah, I knew there would be a sensible explanation, says Gaius. Now Arthur. This gentleman has just read our report.......

Gentleman? says Bandy. It's Jazzman.

Oh cool, says Sweezus. Jazzman, I want to pick your brains.

Sure, says Jazzman, An MBA has to be good for something.

Come on, says Bandy. Talk later. Let's go and get dad's tinny.

Will we all fit in it? says Snook. Is this old guy coming?

Yeah, says Bandy, we'll all fit in it. You coming old guy?

Certainly not, thinks Gaius.

Then he thinks again. Put the cat among the pigeons at a meeting or go cuttlefishing in a tinny with the young folk?

 I'm coming, says Gaius, already feeling ten years younger.

Bandy sniggers.

Ten? thinks Gaius. Make that twenty.


No comments: