Monday, December 9, 2013

Supper And Conversation With A Very Wet Towel

Sweezus watches Jazzman's mum put the finishing touches to her cuttlefish bolognese.

You like cooking? says Jazzman's mum.

Just learning, says Sweezus. I'm starting up my own business. It's a food van called Sweezie's Tender Cuttlies.

Jazzman's mum knows when not to laugh.

Well then, she says. I'll let you in to a few little secrets. Watch and learn.

She opens the freezer.

This is the thickest part of the cuttlefish body, cleaned, squeezed and frozen, she says.

She points to her fry pan bubbling away on the stove top, next to a pot of boiling water.

That's the chopped wings and tentacles frying in garlic and butter. Now I just add the bolognese sauce. Stir that for me, while I cut up the cuttlefish.

She gets out the meat slicer, slices the frozen cuttlefish body, drops the slices into boiling water.

It just takes twenty seconds, says Jazzman's mum. Now out, and onto the plates! See it looks like pretty white pasta. Spread the bolognese sauce on top and sprinkle with parmesan cheese. Supper's ready!

Jazzman, Arthur, Sweezus and Jazzman's mum sit down to eat. The cuttlefish is amazingly tender,

........

Gaius is still on the bench, in the dark, addressing his back pack.

He thinks it's Houdini inside.

You know, says Gaius, like you, I am something of a loner.

Houdini would no doubt have replied: What do you know about me? I'm a cuttlefish. In fact I have many close friends.........

Or perhaps something different.

But that does not matter, because it is not Houdini in the bottom of Gaius's back pack. It's a very wet towel.

The very wet towel has never had a philosophical conversation.

It listens, as Gaius goes on:

There's a lot to be said for it, says Gaius. What is your opinion?

The very wet towel isn't yet ready to say.

For example, says Gaius. If I want to do something, I do it. Go somewhere, I go..........

If the wet towel knew Arthur, it would say: Just like Arthur. But it doesn't know Arthur.

Gaius says: In fact, I'm somewhat like Arthur. Of course though, Arthur is young.

The wet towel thinks: Who is Arthur?

But it has not the courage to ask.

Should I return you to your watery home? says Gaius. Would you like that? What right have I after all.....

The towel does not think it has a watery home. It has been in a washing machine, several times. That was merely confusing.

At last it is ready to say something.

Phlerf! says the very wet towel.


No comments: