Tuesday, July 1, 2014

How Men Take The Credit

Back in Adelaide, in the Velosophy office, Sweezus is talking to Belle.

It's all sorted, says Sweezus.

Good, says Belle et Bonne. When are they coming?

Before Saturday, says Sweezus. Probably Friday. They're still in Tassie.

Ooh, says Belle et Bonne. Gaius too? Does papa know?

Know what? says Vello coming in unexpectedly.

Gaius is still in Tasmania, says Belle et Bonne.

Give me the phone, says Vello.

He calls Gaius's number.

Gaius?

Hello?

Gaius, don't tell me you're still in Tasmania?

Ahem! I am. But I ...

Have you forgotten the Tour?

No, of course not. In fact I'm getting......

Very good. Is Schopenhauer still with you?

Yes. But you'd hardly know him these days, he's ..........

So I believe. Young Sweezus has just published his piece. It seems he's changed his philosophy completely. Caused quite a sensation back here, not to mention in Europe.

You're breaking up, Vello.......

Am I ?.... drat this stupid device......Belle........what do I do.........what button.......?

..............

In Scottsdale, in a small Band B.

Gaius: I've just been talking to Vello.

Schopenhauer: I suppose he's getting a bit toey.

Gaius: He wants me back for the Tour. And he asked about you.

Schopenhauer: Me? What did he ....was it about me joining the team?

Gaius: I thought you weren't interested. And it wasn't about that. It was about how you've changed your philosophy. And it's been published, and caused a sensation.

Schopenhauer: Thunder and lightning! Calumny!

Unni: What's up?

Schopenhauer: We must return to Adelaide immediately!

Unni: We can't, we're only in Scottsdale.

Arthur: We could make a start.

Unni: It's night and it's freezing!

Louis-Claude de Freycinet: Calme-toi, chérie!

Unni: Pardon?

Louis-Claude de Freycinet: You shall not suffer the cold, my dear. We shall leave in the morning.

Arthur: My dear?

Unni: Shut up, Arthur. It's nice of him to think of my welfare.

Arthur: Are we going or not?

Gaius: No. We'll go in the morning. Arthur, work out the best way to do it.

Unni: We'll ride to Launceston in the morning. It's only sixty four kilometres.  Then catch the afternoon bus to Devonport, the night ferry to Melbourne and the Overland back to Adelaide. We'll be there in two days.
Okay Arthur?

Sure, says Arthur. How's that, Gaius?

Very good, Arthur, says Gaius.

Yes, very good Arthur, says Unni.


No comments: