Tuesday, July 3, 2018

Forbidden To Wear A Costume

The new sea salt is heaped on the bandage.

It's full of hairs, says Leanne.

Too bad, says Arthur. They might come in useful for pointers.

Yuck, says Leanne. Hairs in my lunchbox.

Arthur stands up. His knee has dried. Surf beckons. He is ready to go back in the water.

The unknotted bandage unravels.

A dry piece of bread is revealed, stuck to his knee.

Want me to pick it off? asks Leanne.

Okay, says Arthur. Let's see the damage.

Wait, says Humboldt. Too soon. I don't recommend it.

But Arthur desires it. Leanne picks it off.

The gash has stopped bleeding. The newly formed scab contains crumbs.

Arthur returns to the surf with Leanne.

Humboldt scrapes the hairy sea salt into the lunch box.

He will not go back into the water. He will sit on a rock in the sunshine and gather his thoughts.

He takes out a notebook.

......

In Guayaquil, Gaius too has taken out a notebook.

He is waiting for Terence and Saint Roley to arrive on the train.

The train is due in fifteen minutes.

Plenty of time to sit on a bench at the station and gather his thoughts.

He should start a to do list.

Firstly, call Belle and make sure the bicycles are on their way to Nantes.

He calls Belle.

Yes, says Belle. Arriving tomorrow. On the same flight as me, papa and David.

Vello is coming? I though he had piles?

He has. But you know how he is. A micro-manager.

So he'll be our manager? asks Gaius.

Team director, says Belle. And, I should warn you, team clown. You'd better tell Terence. He hates clowns.

Team clown?

Don't worry, I've forbidden him to wear a costume. By the way, how is Terence?

I don't know. I'm at the station waiting for him now. He's with Saint Roley and possibly some wasps that he's become attached to.

Brrrrrr. The call cuts out before Belle can confirm that Gaius said wasps and attached to.

The train arrives.

The passengers get off.

Terence runs towards Gaius.

Guess what? says Terence. I've got ear wasps.

They are decorative, says Gaius. I'm relieved.

I can wear them up or down, says Terence.

Saint Roley flutters to a stop.

Keep them up, says Saint Roley. Or you won't hear instructions. Where are the others?

Not back yet from Salinas, says Gaius. I should call them.

He does.

On a rock,  Sweezus's phone rings.




No comments: