Thursday, July 26, 2018

Stage 18: Tri-sur-Baïse to Pau - Pep Talk

Easy. Two minor climbs and a flat finish.

Vello encourages his team.

I'm feeling better, says Vello. I'm sure you'll be pleased to hear that.

But you're not in it, says David.

No, says Humboldt. Your condition is irrelevant.

Steady on, says Gaius. His improvement might well have its benefits.

Such as? asks David.

He might get rid of the clown suit, says Gaius. We've become a laughing stock due to Vello's comic appearance.

His INCREASINGLY comic appearance! says Humboldt.

True, says David. Vello, today we would like you to take off one item of clown suit. Just one. And another tomorrow.

This is MY pep talk! says Vello. You should listen to me!

All right, says Humboldt.

Fine, says David.

Go on, says Gaius. What should we do that we haven't already been doing?

Humboldt has been doing so well, I appoint him team leader, says Vello.

I'm honoured, says Humboldt. Who was team leader?

I was, says David.

I thought I was, says Gaius.

No one was, says Vello. Now Humboldt is. And you two must protect him.

Humboldt looks proud.

Later.

The race has been going for quite some time.

Arnaud Démare is still fuming.

How dare Andre Greipel say those untrue things!

That he held on to team car. As if! Greipel has since apologised. But still...

Démare pedals and broods.

Humboldt rides past him, slows down and draws level.

You look downcast, says Humboldt.

What do you care? asks Démare.

The earth is a great living organism, says Humboldt, of which you and I are a part. Today I'm team leader.

Good for you, says Démare. What team are you anyway?

Team Philosophe, says Humboldt. Our director is the one in the clown suit.

Ah yes, the one with the marvellous infant, says Démare. And his saintly bird, Saint Roley.

That is one description, says Humboldt. Not sure about the marvellous infant. He lacks talent in spelling. The bird I agree with.

I gave the infant a bird book, Les Oiseaux du Monde, says Démare. We all thought it so amusing that he can't tell a duck from a parrot.

I believe he is Spanish, says Humboldt. He fell off a cathedral in Barcelona.

But he is still a part of the same organism, says Démare, who has cheered up considerably during the conversation.

Of course, says Humboldt. Have you read my book Cosmos?

No, but I shall look out for it, says Démare. And I now feel inclined to forgive André Greipel and move on. Show the world a Frenchman can be a two-time stage winner.

You should bottle that confidence, says Humboldt.

Ha ha! laughs Arnaud Démare, heading off to the front of the organism.

Becoming in the process a two-time stage winner.

Humboldt is generally pleased with his efforts.

Vello, not quite so much.

No comments: