Friday, July 13, 2018

Stage 7: Fougères to Chartres - Empathy

The longest stage of the Tour.

Flat mainly but peppered with climbs.

Sweezus is complaining.

I'll never get King of the Mountain, says Sweezus.

Look on the bright side, says Pablo Neruda.

Don't say it, says Arthur.

Say what? says Sweezus. Say it.

It's a comical jersey, says Pablo. Red polka dots.

Yeah, says Sweezus. I'd wear it.

He would, says Arthur. He wouldn't care.

If I were the King of the Mountain, says Pablo Neruda,

I would wear what I wanted
I would not be spotted

I would stop at the top and survey
The clowns and the laggers
My subjects.

After that, decide on a special treat
I would have for my dinner.

Mini potatoes with caviar
brought to me by Jackie Kennedy
wearing a pill box
and earrings of gold.

Sweezus laughs so much he wobbles.

Cross winds split the peloton.

Damn! says David. Oh well.

Are we resigned to this? asks Humboldt.

No, says Gaius. We must work our way back.

Crackle crackle.

I'm getting a message from Vello, says David. He's saying: Work your way back.

Gaius just said that, says Humboldt.

I know, says David. But Vello has little to do.

In a way it's a pity that Belle forbade him to wear a clown costume, says Gaius.

He was rummaging around in his suitcase this morning, says David.

He wouldn't dare, says Gaius.

O wouldn't he, says David.

They reach the feeding zone, and there stands Vello, in a frilled collar, holding out their musettes.

I hope it's not potatoes again, says Gaius.

He was wearing a frilled collar, says David. Did you see?

It IS potatoes, says Humboldt. Perhaps we should mention it to Belle.

A frilled collar, says David. What is he thinking?

They resolve to talk to Belle, after the finish.

Back at the feed zone, Vello has made a truce of sorts with Froggy Fréron.

What do you think? asks Vello.

Subtle, says Froggy Fréron. Clownish but romantic.

That's the look I was going for, says Vello. You and I should team up.

Me too, says Terence. Can I have a collar?

You had a hat, says Vello. Where is it?

Wah! cries Terence. I lost it. It had ear wasps!

Just then Saint Roley appears with the hat in his beak.

These pesky cross winds! says Saint Roley.

You said goodbye! says Terence. I thought I'd never see you.

I thought you might think you'd never see me, says Saint Roley. When I was in Saint Malo thinking of my lost brother, I thought of you thinking just that.

Empathy, says Froggy Fréron. I'm all for it.

So am I, as a matter of fact, says Vello.

But time is getting away from us. Who is winning?

Oh.

Someone we don't often hear of. Dylan Groenewegen, from Lotto Jumbo.

And he has beaten Fernando Gaviria and Peter Sagan.

That's nice.

No comments: