Wednesday, July 11, 2018

Stage 5: Lorient to Quimper - Froggy

This will be the toughest stage so far.

Five climbs to go up and down.

Peter Sagan is determined to win this.

And he knows that he will.

Yesterday he was given a mini potato by a team mate (who should remain nameless).

This morning he ate it for breakfast.

What's this? he had asked.

One of the mini potatoes of Team Philosophe, replied the teammate.

And what good will it do? asked Peter Sagan. I don't wish to eat it for no reason. Are Team Philosophe winning? I don't think so.

True, said the team mate, but the rumour goes round that they know who is going to be winning, and that person wins.

So Rafal, it will only be me if I know it will be me, says Peter Sagan.

(Yes, it was Rafal Majka. No harm in knowing).

Eat it, says Rafal. See if you know.

Peter Sagan eats the mini potato. It is not as good as it would have been yesterday at lunch time. But it is still a Bonnotte. Quite earthy and with a top note of walnut.

Now, says Rafal. Anything?

I know I shall win today, says Peter Sagan. I knew it anyway. Nevertheless, thanks for the potato.

No problem, says Rafal Majka.

Later:

Vello is standing at the finish, in Quimper.

Terence is beside him.

WAH-WAH-WAH! yells Terence.

What is it! cries Vello. Have you been stung?

A CLOWN! cries Terence.

Sure enough there is a clown standing near him.

I'll speak to him, says Vello.

He walks up to the clown. Stops, and turns purple.

YOU! cries Vello. What are YOU doing in Quimper?

I was born here, says the clown. What are YOU doing here, is the question!

I'm Team Director of Team Philosophe, says Vello.

Not Team Clown? asks the clown, nastily.

Yes, and Team Clown since you're asking, says Vello. I'm not wearing a costume.

What is a clown without a costume? asks the other clown.

A human, says Vello. Were it not for this infant beside me, I would wear one, and a better one than yours.

What's wrong with mine? asks the clown.

A green gnome hat and white pom pom, says Vello. A brown clown suit. The whole thing looks froggy.

Froggy, says Terence, feeling bolder because Vello knows the clown in the clown suit.

Belle appears, at this moment.

I'm here for the finish, says Belle.

Look who's here, says Vello. My old nemesis, Elie Fréron, the rude critic. Turns out he's from Quimper.

Nothing wrong with coming from Quimper! says Elie Fréron.

He looks like a frog, says Terence. I'm not scared of frogs am I?

No, says Belle. You're not scared of frogs. But you shouldn't say he looks.......

Hurrah!

The crowd erupts with great cheering.

Peter Sagan, who knew he would win today, is winning.

Sonny Colbrelli, who thought he knew the same thing, is not.


No comments: