Wednesday, September 22, 2021

Akira Men Deedo

Gaius and Rusty go up the cliff steps.

Rusty first.

Gaius next, with his thumb over the hole in the container.

The sea slugs, inside the container, feel themselves rise.

The oystercatcher is already at the top, because he is eager.

They follow the cliff path to the saints' garden, where Hideo is holding his class.

Guess what? says Terence. Akira men deedo!

Very good, says Gaius. What does it mean?

Never give up, says Terence.

Chigau! says Hideo. 

What does that mean? asks Gaius.

Not right, says Hideo. Terence has mispronounced it.

Okay, says Terence. Roo kai.

Ryukai, says Hideo. 

I said that, says Terence.

I see Terence is progressing, says Gaius. What about our sea slug?

It may be deaf, says Hideo. 

I don't think it's deaf, says Bertille. 

Here are two more sea slugs, says Gaius, putting the container on the ground, next to the pebble. Perhaps our sea slug will do better in company.

Shall I get them out? asks Bertille.

If you can, says Gaius. It's one of those impossible lids, I can't imagine how.....ah! you've done it!

You have to flick it up here, says Bertille.

She lifts the two crimoras out of the container and places them next to the atroviridis, on its saucer.

Right, says Hideo. Two more pupils. Chotto matte.

That means wait a moment, says Bertille. 

At least someone has been listening, says Hideo.

I've been listening, says Terence.

Half listening, says Hideo. And the sea slug may as well be a cucumber for all it's retaining.

Ahem, says the oystercatcher. Perhaps I can be of assistance.

Who are you? asks Hideo.

The oystercatcher I was meeting, says Gaius. It wants to meet Terence.

You've met me, says Terence. 

I could help you with your pronunciation, says the oystercatcher. A special tutor.

Help THEM! says Terence. They can't say anything.

Yes, help them, says Hideo. 

But I really came to help Terence, says the oystercatcher. I hear he needs a parrot.

I'm too grown up for a parrot, says Terence.

The oystercatcher looks sad.

It's beak turns down slightly, its head droops.

Bertille whispers something to Rusty.

I might need a parrot, says Rusty. 

Actually, says Terence. I do need a parrot.

Good, says the oystercatcher. What's my first job?

Tell the teacher the lesson is over, says Terence.

You heard him, says the oystercatcher.

Buzz off then, says Hideo. I've got enough on my plate with these unresponsive faux cucumbers.

The unresponsive faux cucumbers look at one another.

What an insult! It's not even a plate. It's a saucer!


No comments: