Monday, September 20, 2021

One Of Those Lids With A Secret

Gaius and Rusty scan the shoreline.

There are one or two oystercatchers, poking about in the sand.

But not the one.... no wait... one is approaching!

Well met! says the oystercatcher. I have something for you.

Excellent, says Gaius. Where is it?

In a safe place, says the oystercatcher. But first...

Yes? says Gaius.

Where is the other boy?

You mean Terence? says Gaius.

He doesn't mean me, says Rusty.

No I don't, says the oystercatcher. The one who wanted a parrot.

Terence always thinks he wants a parrot, says Gaius. But he gets on quite well without one. Don't tell me you've brought us a parrot! 

No, says the oystercatcher. But is the position still vacant?

Um, yes I suppose so, says Gaius. 

Someone is interested, says the oystercatcher. Will you tell him?

Yes. When I see him, says Gaius.

He's learning Japanese, says Rusty.

Who from? asks the oystercatcher.

A bad otter, says Rusty. It sucked off my toes. See? These ones.

They look all right to me, says the oystercatcher.

But they're only stuck on with fish glue, says Rusty. I don't trust them.

Go and paddle, says Gaius. It's a powerful glue. I assure you, nothing will happen

Rusty steps into the shallows and stands, looking down at his toes.

Follow me, says the oystercatcher. 

Yes, come on Rusty, says Gaius. You're to help carry the sea slugs if sea slugs are on offer.

I have sea slugs, says the oystercatcher. Two of them. I've left them high and dry under an overhang.

Rusty steps out of the shallows. Hurrah! He still has his toes.

He and Gaius follow the oystercatcher to the overhang.

Two sea slugs are waiting on a pebble.

Wonderful, says Gaius. Rusty, open the container.

Rusty tries.

But the container has one of those lids that are hard to get off. There is some sort of secret to doing it.

Give it to me, says Gaius.

He tries to lever the lid off using various found objects. A small stick. A razor clam. No luck.

Let me try, says the oystercatcher.

He pierces the lid with his beak.

But finds he cannot withdraw it.

Dear me, says Gaius.

The sea slugs have been lying motionless, enclosed in their mantles. But they can hear what is happening. They must see it. They withdraw their mantles exposing their heads, which bear cylindrical tentacles with eyes at the tips.

It's worth coming out for. The oystercatcher looks funny!


No comments: