Tuesday, September 21, 2021

Meddling With Nature

Thwoop! Gaius pulls the pierced lid from the oystercatcher's beak.

Sorry about that, says the oystercatcher.

Not at all, says Gaius. It will do as a breathing hole.

Isn't it too big? asks the oystercatcher.

I'll keep my thumb on it, says Gaius.

Then it won't be a breathing hole, says Rusty.

They probably won't need a breathing hole for the time it will take us to return to the cellar, says Gaius.

Then why...? begins Rusty.

If they do, says Gaius, I will move my thumb slightly.

Everyone is satisfied with this. 

Even the sea slugs. We must not forget them.

They are still on the pebble, heads up.

They both have translucent white bodies, numerous yellow and orange tubercules, and short oral tentacles. 

Where did you find these? asks Gaius. 

In a crevice, says the oystercatcher.

They are crimora papillata, if I'm not mistaken, says Gaius. A type of nudibranch. They will probably not suit my purpose.

Think, says the oystercatcher. There are sea slugs that know how to regenerate bodies, and those that do not. Why not train them?

It is not for me to meddle with nature, says Gaius. Merely to observe it.

What if a third party should try? says the oystercatcher.

I cannot condone it, says, Gaius.

O, says the oystercatcher. But I was hoping.....

For scientific renown? asks Gaius. 

To join your party, says the oystercatcher. As a parrot, if need be.

Why didn't you say so? says Gaius. Come up the steps with us. Terence will be in the garden, learning Japanese. 

I will, says the oystercatcher. But what about the sea slugs? I feel responsible.

As do I, says Gaius. Rusty, put them in the container.

Through the breathing hole? asks Rusty.

It's the only way, says Gaius. Do it gently. 

Rusty picks up a crimora papillata and forces it through the hole, followed by the other one.

The crimora papillatas right themselves, and try to think positive.


No comments: