Thursday, September 16, 2021

Neck Tingles

Terence! says Bertille. Don't show it that!

Why not? asks Terence.

It's a horrible reminder, says Bertille.

It's a good reminder, says Terence.

The stiff sausage body of the sea slug moves gently in the saucer of water.

The head of the sea slug turns towards it.

See, says Terence. Now it knows what to do.

It knows anyway, says Bertille. And that THING isn't helping.

Ask it, says Rusty.

Terence leans over the saucer.

Do you like your instructions? asks Terence.

The head of the sea slug ignores him.

It's not even answering, says Bertille. 

It's looking, says Terence.

Come, says Gaius. Time to go. The tide will be turning.

Yes, says Jean-Claude. Time to go home.

They head for the exit.

Gaius is carrying the saucer. 

He considers throwing the sea slug's old body away.

He passes a bin. Yes, why not do it?

He stops at the bin.

A dark-coated stranger is lurking nearby, under an awning.

The dark-coated stranger approaches.

Hideo! says Gaius. 

How did you know it was me? asks Hideo.

Your otter-like features, says Gaius. 

But I look like a human! says Hideo.

Indeed you do, says Gaius. And if I hadn't met you already, I would be fooled. Why are you out of the otter pool?

I heard about the sad accident, says Hideo. The beheading.

And? says Gaius.

And, I heard that the sea slug was identified as Japanese, says Hideo.

Aha! says Gaius. And you thought you might be of assistance.

I may, says Hideo. After all Japan is where I'm from.

It doesn't speak Japanese, says Gaius. 

It thinks it doesn't, says Hideo.

What is the difference? asks Gaius.

A world of difference, says Hideo. Take me home with you, and you'll see.

I'm not going home yet, says Gaius. I'm staying with saints Arnoc and Ténénan, in their cellar. 

Ooh lovely! says Hideo. Well then?

All right, says Gaius. If you can get the slug's head talking, we will gain insights beyond imagining. You may join us, if the saints both agree. 

Allons-y, says Hideo.

Isn't that French? says Gaius. 

I have lived here a long time, says Hideo. By the way, why did you stop at the bin?

To drop the body in, says Gaius.

He drops the body in.

It's done.

On the saucer, the head of the sea slug sucks up more algae-rich water.

Its neck tingles.


No comments: