Thursday, September 30, 2021

What Becomes

 Bertille comes down into the cellar.

What did you have for dinner? asks Terence.

Cotriade, says Bertille.

Did your mother make it? asks Saint Arnoc.

No, dad bought it, says Bertille. 

What is it? asks Terence.

Fish soup, says Bertille. 

What colour? asks Terence.

Orange, says Bertille.

Huh! says Terence. Guess what? I got nothing.

Too bad, says Bertille. Is that because the saints ran out of red food dye?

No, says Terence. They put it back on the wrong shelf. Then they found it. AFTER DINNER!

When it came in handy, says Gaius. 

He indicates the red-neck-ringed Roo-kai.

For my parrot passport photo, says Roo-kai. What do you think?

You look like someone tried to kill you, says Betrille.

That's what I said, says Terence.

Compare him to his photo, says Gaius.

He shows Bertille the photo.

Great, says Bertille. Now he can't wash.

It doesn't wash off easily, says Saint Arnoc. And we'll give Gaius the bottle, for touch-ups.

Good idea, says Saint Ténénan.

I don't suppose you have a printer? asks Gaius.

Upstairs in the cottage, says Saint Arnoc.

May I use it? asks Gaius. I want to play around with this passport. Photoshopping and whatnot.

I'll help you, says Bertille. 

Can I come? asks Terence.

And me, says Roo-kai. It's my passport.

Sure, says Bertille.

They go up the stone steps.

Mathilde is wondering what to do with the leftover cotriade.

Would anyone like some?

I would, had I not just eaten, says Gaius. Where is the printer?

There, says Mathilde. Next to the computer.

I trust it will do the job, says Gaius.

What's the job? asks Mathilde.

To produce a convincing parrot passport for Roo-kai here, says Gaius.

The oystercatcher? says Mathilde. Why not just go for an oystercatcher passport?

Only pet birds can travel with a passport, says Gaius. Parrots, parakeets, budgerigars and macaws.

Or fake ones, says Terence.

Have you done this before? asks Mathilde.

Many times, says Gaius.

Are you sure about the cotriade? asks Mathilde. Otherwise it's going down the toilet.

Gross! says Bertille.


No comments: