Tuesday, September 28, 2021

The Bridge Is Long

 Not on me, says Arthur. Why do you need one?

Terence has obtained a new parrot, says Gaius. And we're still in Brest. Where are you?

At your place, says Arthur. Keeping an eye on things.

Very good, says Gaius. Go through my drawers.

Uh? says Arthur.

For an old parrot passport, says Gaius. 

Okay, says Arthur. He opens some drawers.

Pebbles, feathers, socks, underpants, tinea cream.

No parrot passport.

Try the pantry, says Gaius.

Arthur tries the pantry,

Eventually, in a yellow folder, he finds two parrot passports.

Found them! says Arthur. One for Mouldy, and one for Jinjing.

Excellent! says Gaius. Take photos and send them to me.

Sure, says Arthur. 

He takes the photos, sends them to Gaius, and goes back to bed to recapture his waterspout dream.

Here we are! says Gaius. Two parrot passports to choose from.

Let me see, says the oystercatcher.

At the top of each parrot passport is a photo.

Mouldy appears as a pebble with parrot feathers.

Jinjing looks like a child's toy.

They don't look like me, says the oystercatcher. And they don't look like parrots.

They were GOOD parrots! says Terence. 

What happened to them? asks the oystercatcher.

I don't know, says Terence. 

As I recall, says Gaius, Mouldy was last seen riding a bicycle across a bridge to Hong Kong. It was many years ago.

He must BE there! cries Terence.

Indeed he must, says Gaius. The bridge is long, but not that long.

It seems to me you need a photo of the oystercatcher, says Saint Arnoc. Then you can photoshop it on to one of these passports.

Is that allowed? asks Saint Ténénan?

I don't know, is it? asks Saint Arnoc.

Let me think, says Gaius. Where did we get these passports in the first place....? Ah yes! It's here at the bottom. Signed by Isidore, director at the Jardin des Plantes, Paris. 

Is that helpful? asks Saint Arnoc.

He'll back me up, says Gaius. He's an old friend of mine.

But now the oystercatcher has thought of a problem.

What about the name on the passport? Shouldn't it be mine?

The name can be easily altered, says Saint Arnoc. What is yours?

Catcher, says the oystercatcher. 

That's a bad name, says Terence.

I think it's a cool name, says Catcher.

Not for a parrot, says Terence. 

You think Mouldy's a good name for a parrot? asks Catcher.

No, says Terence. I think Roo-kai is a good name.

Doesn't roo-kai mean Roger? asks Gaius, gently.

Not if you pronounce it that way, says Saint Arnoc. 


No comments: