Friday, September 10, 2021

Sit Like A Buddha

Is there any more fish glue? asks Rusty.

Plenty, says Gaius. And I'll glue your toe halves back together as soon as I've cleaned the salad oil from my fingers.

Here is a tissue, says Mathilde.

Thank you, says Gaius.

But perhaps I should do it, says Mathilde. My hands are clean.

Yes, do it, says Rusty. I want to go into the tropical pavilion.

Hold your feet out, says Mathilde.

Gaius hands her the glue.

Not yet, says Mathilde. I need to proceed methodically.

Excellent, says Gaius. If only I'd done the same.

Have you finished the salad? asks Mathilde. 

I have, says Gaius. It was very nice too. A slight fishy taste, which I am quite used to.

Then hand me the container, says Mathilde.

He does. The toe parts are already in it. She takes them out. Dries them off with a tissue.

She wipes the container, and squeezes glue into it.

Dips the unbroken toe in.

And presses it to Rusty's left foot.

What if it's the wrong toe? cries Rusty.

Everyone looks alarmed.

You're a cherub, says Gaius. All your toes are the same.

Are mine? asks Terence.

Originally, yes, says Gaius. But you've had a few accidents.

Terence is silent, remembering his accidents.

Now, Rusty, says Mathilde. Press that toe with your finger, and keep the pressure on for ten minutes.

Rusty presses his toe.

Now for the other one.

Mathilde picks up the two halves, and glues them together.

Give me your other foot, says Mathilde.

She presses the mended toe on.

Hold that one too, says Mathilde.

Rusty tries. He has to sit like a Buddha. 

Jean-Claude and Bertille come out of the tropical pavilion.

The coral reefs are dying, says Bertille.

Surely not, says Gaius. Not the ones in there.

No, says Bertille. All the real ones. And the goby fish are disappearing.

Boo-hoo, says Terence. But look at Rusty's toes.

Bertille looks. 

Rusty has both his toes back, thanks to a great deal of effort on everyone's part.

No comments: