Saturday, September 11, 2021

Where Sharks Are Going

The ten minutes is up.

Rusty is testing his toes.

Gingerly walking. Tick.

Walking faster. Tick.

Hopping. Tick, tick.

You're fixed! cries Terence. Let's go into the tropical pavilion.

Okay, says Rusty.

I'll go with you, says Gaius. I should like to know what they say about one coral reef in particular.

Bertille and I will go ahead to the Brittany pavilion, says Mathilde. Tell Jean-Claude if you see him.

Certainly, says Gaius. 

He enters the tropical pavilion, with Terence and Rusty.

People are gazing at colourful tropical fish, in aquariums.

Or reading information.

Tropical waters are warming, and driving tropical fish to non-tropical latitudes.

Very good, says Gaius.

What? asks Terence.

Tropical fish are re-locating, says Gaius.

Yes, that's good, says Terence.

What's re-locating? asks Rusty.

Moving, says Gaius. To different locations. 

Like me, says Rusty.

And me, says Terence. I used to live in a palace. On the outside, with the parrots.

I lived on Napoleon's barge, says Rusty. On a sea horse.

The sea horse was a recent addition, says Gaius. As were you, Rusty. The original barge had less features. And as to.....

Rusty isn't listening. He has spotted Jean-Claude.

He tries to attract Jean-Claude's attention.

Jean-Claude is in front of the shark tank, looking at sharks.

Alors! says Jean-Claude. I would not like to meet one when swimming.

Moi aussi, says another dad, near him. They can bite off your arm or your leg in an instant.

Bonjour Rusty! says Jean-Claude. Look at these sharks!

Look at my feet! says Rusty. My toes are back on now.

Tres bien! says Jean-Claude. 

What happened to his toes? asks the other dad.

Otters, says Jean-Claude.

Who would have thought it? says the other dad, rolling his eyes.

Gaius and Terence arrive at the shark tank.

Woo! Sharks! says Terence. Where are they going?

It's a good question.

No comments: