Saturday, September 25, 2021

Replace The Missing

No red soup, says Terence. 

Is that the reason you came outside? asks the oystercatcher.

No, says Terence. Gaius asked me.

To do what? asks the oystercatcher.

Check on something, says Terence. But I can't.

What is it? asks the oystercatcher.

The sea slugs, says Terence. I have to find out if they're interacting.

They are now, says the oystercatcher.

Where? asks Terence. They're not on the saucer.

Just go back and tell him they are, says the oystercatcher.

But where are they? asks Terence.

I can't tell you, says the oystercatcher.

You have to tell me if you want to be my parrot, says Terence.

All right, says the oystercatcher. They went to Japan.

How did they get there? asks Terence.

They won't be there yet, says the oystercatcher. But they're on their way.

Together, says Terence.

Yes, says the oystercatcher. I was just about to go down to the shore and find three replacements.

One would have to be a head, says Terence. 

Easy, says the oystercatcher.

But it has to be the right one, says Terence.

Yes, an atroviridis, says the oystercatcher. I'm not stupid.

Okay, says Terence. I'll go back and tell Gaius.

Just tell him they're interacting, says the oystercatcher. 

Roo-kai! says Terence.

That's ryouki, says the oystercatcher.

You learned it! says Terence. That will be useful if you go to Japan.

I'm not planning to go to Japan, says the oystercatcher.

Or if someone from Japan wants to say something to you, says Terence. Like, hello, are you a parrot?

Unlikely, says the oystercatcher. 

That's the right answer! says Terence. I've got a parrot that can answer Japanese questions. 

Lucky you, says the oystercatcher. Well, I'm off to replace the missing.

Remember, says Terence. One head, two bodies. 

Wrong, says the oystercatcher. Three heads, two bodies.

I meant that, says Terence.

He runs back down the steps to the cellar, to tell Gaius the good parts of what's happened


No comments: