Sunday, September 19, 2021

None For Me

The tide's out, says Saint Arnoc.

Good, says Gaius. I'll go down to the shore.

Can I come? asks Rusty.

He's scared of Hideo, says Terence.

I'm not, says Rusty. I just want to see if my toes will stay on in the water.

Of course they will, says Gaius. But yes, you may come. If the oystercatcher has found any more sea slugs, you can help carry them.

Would you like a container? asks Saint Ténénan.

Thank you, says Gaius. I would.

Saint Ténénan hurries down the stone steps to the cellar.

He returns with a round plastic container, with one of those lids you press on.

The lid is pressed on at the moment.

Gaius and Rusty head off to the cliff path, and down the steps to the shore.

Saint Arnoc turns to Hideo.

A few house rules, says Saint Arnoc.

Yes? says Hideo.

No shape shifting while you're down in the cellar, says Saint Arnoc.

Is that a house rule for everyone? asks Hideo.

Well, yes, says Saint Arnoc.

Except we can't do it, says Terence.

No we can't, says Bertille. But the sea slug can, sort of. 

Ha ha! says Hideo. Fear not, people. I'll teach him outside.

Good plan, says Saint Arnoc. You may sit under this tree, on this rock. And your pupil can sit at your feet.

A fine scenario, says Hideo. Would anyone else like to be a pupil, and learn Japanese? 

Me! says Terence. 

And me! says Bertille.

Very good, says Saint Arnoc. Saint Ténénan and I will go downstairs and peel the potatoes.

None for me! says Hideo.

Their soup's not that bad, says Bertille.

I usually have red soup, says Terence.

Hideo rolls his eyes in a otter-like manner.

Sit down!

He places the sea slug's head (still on the saucer) on the grass at his feet.

Terence and Bertille sit either side of the saucer, and wait for their lesson.

The sea slug waits too.

Rather than learn Japanese, it would prefer a Personal Growth class.

But you don't always get what you want.


No comments: