Tuesday, September 7, 2021

One Tragic Thing

Gaius and the Head of Slugs stop by the otter pool.

The Head of Slugs makes a sign to Hideo.

Hideo slithers out of the pool, and stands before them.

I hear you promised the cherub fur shoes, says the Head of Slugs.

No, I didn't, says Hideo.

Then why would he say that you did? asks the Head of Slugs.

Wishful thinking, says Hideo.

May I see your teeth? asks the Head of Slugs.

Any time, says Hideo. 

He flashes his teeth. 

Open! says the Head of Slugs.

Hideo opens.

There! Two golden toes, large as life!

Those toes belong to our colleague, says Gaius. I'll thank you to return them. 

O will you? says Hideo. And what do I get?

You get off scot free, says the Head of Slugs. Spit them out. We'll say no more about it.

Spittt! Hideo spits the toes out. Into the pool though.

The Head of Slugs shakes his head.

How shall we retrieve them? I don't have time to get the scoop out. I'm due back at the office.

Several of the otters have now spotted the toes, gleaming.

They dive playfully for them.

They toss the toes in the air.

Plip! Plop! The toes drop back into the pool.

This is ridiculous, says Gaius. Can't you control your otters?

I'm Head of Slugs, not otters, says the Head of Slugs crossly.

The toes are tossed up again.

This time Gaius is ready. He whips the lid off the container containing his sea slug, and thrusts it out over the water.

Ding! Splurch!

He catches both gold toes in the container. 

A fine outcome, but for one tragic thing.


No comments: