Friday, September 24, 2021

The Meaning Of Roger

Saint Arnoc places the soup plates on the table.

Saint Ténénan ladles potato soup into each one.

This smells delicious, says Gaius. 

It always does, says Saint Arnoc. 

Are you sure you won't try it, Hideo? asks Saint Ténénan.

I'm an otter, says Hideo.

In the shape of a man, says Saint Arnoc.

That doesn't alter my appetite, says Hideo. I eat fish and crustaceans.

And toes, says Rusty.

Did I eat them? asks Hideo.

To be fair, says Gaius. Hideo didn't eat them.

Thank you, says Hideo.

Shrimps, mussels? asks Saint Arnoc.

Sea slugs! says Terence.

Never, says Hideo. 

Can I have red soup again? asks Terence.

Saint Arnoc goes into the pantry.

Comes out empty-handed. 

No.

Shin jin! says Terence.

Meaning? asks Hideo.

I don't believe it! says Terence.

Chigau, says Hideo. That's not right. It's shinjirarenai.

I said the first bit, says Terence.

Shin, says Hideo, but jin was chigau.

How interesting, says Saint Ténénan. Japanese seems quite easy.

I try to make it easy, says Hideo. But Terence is slow.

I bet you do eat sea slugs, says Terence.

He is easily distracted, says Gaius. Terence, since you're not having the soup, why don't you go back into the garden and check on the slugs. I'd be interested to know if they're interacting.

Okay! says Terence. 

He runs up the stone steps shouting Roo-kai!

It's not roo-kai, says Hideo. It's ryouki.

Ryouki, says Saint Arnoc. I shall try to remember. And what does it mean?

Roger, says Hideo.

Of limited use then, says Gaius.

Roger as in Got it! says Hideo.

Ah, says Gaius. I see. Or should I say, Ryouki!

Terence stops at the tree.

The oystercatcher is standing next to the pebble.

The saucer sits on the pebble.

But the saucer, which earlier held three sea slugs, is empty.


No comments: