Friday, February 25, 2011

Shakespeare Dot Com

The play is ended. The crowd pours out of the Bakehouse Theatre into the hot Adelaide night. The philosophers head off for a drink at the edge of town.

Le Bon David: Well!

The VeloDrone: What do you mean, "Well!" ?

Le Bon David: I always found Shakespeare lamentably lacking in taste. But this took the cake! Robots! Computer games! Changing the endings at will!

The VeloDrone: Bollywoodstyle dancing. Everyone talking at once. Indecipherable acronyms. ROFLMAO, I ask you!

Marie: Oh dear, perhaps it's a generational thing. Don't you know what ROFLMAO means?

The VeloDrone: I do now. Rolling on the floor laughing and so on. The rest is rude and barbarous.

Belle et Bonne: Laughing my arse off, papa. But remember, you once accused Shakespeare of being rude and barbarous.

The VeloDrone: But I admitted he was a genius as well. I even adapted some of his plays.

Marie: So you did. You changed them out of all recognition. Hamlet, Macbeth, Julius Caesar. You gave them a rationalist twist.

Le Bon David: So you did, Vello. I remember. Rather like the young cast of Shakespeare Dot Com were trying to do here tonight, wouldn't you say? Give Shakespeare a modern technological twist.

The VeloDrone: Well, they succeeded in that.

Belle et Bonne: But did you enjoy it, papa and Uncle David? I did. The PUC robot reminded me of a friend of mine. And it was fun when the cast called us on our mobile phones.

Le Bon David: Pity I didn't have a mobile phone. But yes, I suppose I did enjoy it.

Marie: I liked it when Juliet died.

Belle et Bonne: And Romeo went internet dating to find a new girlfiend.

Marie: So funny! ROFLMAO!

No comments: