Thursday, March 12, 2015

Cold Drip Coffee And The Creator

Sweezus and Denis Diderot are at Please Say Please. Sweezus is ordering coffee.

He orders two cold drip coffees and sits down.

Now, says Sweezus. How would you like us to do this?

Denis frowns.

You could talk. I could write notes, says Sweezus.

Do I detect a note of hopefulness in your suggestion? says Denis. Why don't you ask me some questions?

Okay, says Sweezus, but I only got told about this yesterday. Um.... you and Vello been friends long?

Yes, says Denis. Ever since I read his Philosophical Letters. At first I was inspired by him. But we parted ways philosophically some time later.

But you guys are still friends, yeah? asks Sweezus.

Oh yes, says Denis. You......you don't pick up on things do you?

Uh? says Sweezus. I picked up on the friends thing.

But more importantly, says Denis, for the purposes of a serious interview, don't you think you should ask why Vello and I parted ways philosophically?

Yeah okay, says Sweezus. Why did you? Wait, let me guess. Something about pedals.

What makes you think that? asks Denis. David mentioned bicycle pedals earlier. What's going on?

I don't know says Sweezus. Maybe he meant pedals for keyboards?

But why would anyone confuse them? asks Denis.

The interview is not going well. But luckily the cold drip coffee arrives.

It is served very nicely in little glass hip flask bottles with a square ice cube in a glass on the side.

.........

Denise and Katherine have now moved from the AEAF to the Samstag.

This looks less confronting than tERROR, says Katherine.

Let's hope so, says Denise. It wasn't the lying on the mattress, it was the sliding off.

Never pays to do it too quickly, says Katherine. So, here we are. No mattresses here.

Do it, says Denise. Sounds like a sports motto.

Let's see, says Katherine. An artist gets a set of instructions, and follows them. That's doesn't sound very artistic. Sounds more like school. Or painting by numbers.

I used to like painting by numbers, says Denise.  I'm attracted by that big one over there.

You go and look at it then, dear, says Katherine.

Denise goes over to the big painting which consists of randomly placed plastic paint smears. White, yellow and pink paint smears are available on a board next to the painting for the public to place on the artwork wherever they please.

Denise stares at the artwork. Will she place a paint smear?

It seems so silly. But she wants to.

........

So, says Sweezus, you parted ways philosophically. Why was that?

Thank you for asking, says Denis. It was because Vello remained a deist, while I became an atheist and materialist.

How come? asks Sweezus.

It made sense to me, says Denis. Why must there be a creator? But I got into a great deal of trouble. I published my ideas and was sent to prison.

Heavy, says Sweezus. Just for being an atheist. Those were the days, eh?

Why aren't you writing this down? asks Denis.

Sorry, says Sweezus, getting his notepad and pen out.


No comments: