Friday, March 27, 2015

Each Nut Has A Message

In Spaced 2: future recall, Arthur is attracted to a glass case filled with carved boab nuts.

They are not merely decorative. Each nut has a message.

'This nut kills fascists', reads one nut.

'Aboriginal artist unveiled as a white woman', reads another.

Arthur likes the carved boab nuts which are socio-political, and humorously reference history.

A woman comes into the gallery and stands beside Arthur.

I'm Nerida Wilson, says the woman. I believe you were looking for me?

I was, says Arthur. But now I'm just looking at nuts.

Great aren't they, says Nerida. This is a cool exhibition. There's a crazy Peking opera some guy's written about a steel mill, over there somewhere. But anyway, how can I help you?

You already have, says Arthur. Gaius sent me in to find out your last name.

Gaius! says Nerida. Is he here? Where is he?

Waiting outside, says Arthur.

Come with me, says Nerida.

Nerida and Arthur leave the gallery and the museum, to look for Gaius.

But Gaius and Sweezus have already left for the Old Swan Barracks Backpackers.

Sweezus has drunk several pints of Swan Draught in the Barracks Bar, and half-forgotten about Easter.

Gaius is unpacking his back pack in the dorm. Where on earth are his pencils?

Kobo looks up from her Kindle.

Which is my bed? asks Kobo.

Gaius hasn't anticipated such niceties.

Well, I thought.......says Gaius. Well, to be honest..... I didn't. There isn't.

There isn't, says Kobo. Just as I thought. Females don't count for anything.

You can have my bed, says Gaius. I'll bunk up with Sweezus, or Arthur.

I'd recommend Sweezus, says Kobo.

Why? asks Gaius.

Just my preference, says Kobo. He's bigger.

Perhaps you'd like to bunk up with with Sweezus? asks Gaius, hopefully.

He wouldn't like it, says Kobo.

He needn't know, says Gaius. I'll slip you in under the pillow.

Kobo thinks how romantic it would be to sleep close to Sweezus. Perhaps he will talk in his sleep.

All right, says Kobo.

Gaius slips her in under the pillow, and goes down to the bar.

Arthur and Nerida are there, talking to Sweezus.

Oh yes, says Nerida, it was a wonderful coup.  A third species of sea dragon. With a skeletal difference and a DNA difference. We had one right there in the museum, but no one realised.

How come? asks Sweezus.

It was a hundred years old, says Nerida.

That's old, says Sweezus. Hey! Gaius is here!

Delighted to meet you, Gaius, says Nerida. I've heard so much about you.

This is Nerida Wilson, says Arthur. From the museum.

Of course! says Gaius. WILSON.  I knew it was something to do with parking.

Pardon? says Nerida.

Oh nothing, says Gaius. I'm just an old gatherer of facts and information. I don't always make the right connections.

You mustn't sell yourself short, says Nerida. Now Gaius, how about coming back to the museum with me and I'll show you everything.

Gaius beams. It has long been his dearest wish to be shown everything.

He and Nerida go off.

It's good here, says Sweezus, waving his arms expansively. Pool table, free WiFi, illuminated whisky barrels. And there's the river and stuff.

And boab nuts carved with deep messages, says Arthur.

Yeah man, bit like my head, says Sweezus.


No comments: