Monday, March 23, 2015

Don't Wish For Legs My Son

Gaius, Arthur and Sweezus are on the afternoon flight to Perth.

Kobo is in Gaius's back pack.

But Ageless and Baby Pierre are not there.

......

Ageless and Baby Pierre are on a bus travelling to the city.

Ageless: They'll be sorry.

Baby Pierre: Really sorry.

Ageless: The Indian Pacific is comfy. All that leg room.

Baby Pierre: I wish I had legs.

Ageless: Don't wish for legs, my son. I don't recommend them.

Baby Pierre: What should I do with my leg room?

Ageless: Save it. Something will come up.

.......

Arthur is thinking about Pablo.

Sweezus is thinking about Terence.

Gaius is thinking: Now what was the name of the woman? Nerida something?

Kobo is thinking: Perhaps I should get a tattoo.

.......

It's 6.40 pm. The Indian Pacific is about to leave Adelaide.

Choo choo! Everyone on board!

Ageless and Baby Pierre have found a comfy spot in the corner of a carriage, under a window.

Ageless spreads out his red knitted hat. Arranges his legs comfortably.

Baby Pierre doesn't need to.

He looks around for something that might be what Ageless had said would come up.

Hello! Are you going to Perth also? asks a voice of exquisite sweetness.

No. Kalgoorlie, says Ageless.

But she is not speaking to Ageless. It's Baby Pierre she is looking at.

No. says Baby Pierre. Kalgooly.

Ee ee ee! tinkles the bright lilting voice. It's not Kalgooly!

Where are you? asks Baby Pierre.

Right here, says Brianna.

Now he can see her.

Share my leg room, says Baby Pierre.

Ee ee ee! says Brianna.

She will.

..........

 The plane has landed in Perth.

Gaius looks around for the shuttle.

Sweezus gets his phone out.

I'm calling Ray, says Sweezus.

I wouldn't, says Arthur.

........

In Melbourne Ray's phone rings.

Ray Moon, says Ray.

Is Terence with you? asks Sweezus.

There follows an ominous lack of an instant reply.

No comments: