Thursday, March 19, 2015

There Was No Perth In Those Days

Who said that about the diving suit? asks Gaius.

Me, says Baby Pierre. I have a diving suit. Can I come?

No, says Gaius. Firstly, you don't have a diving suit. And secondly, if you did, it would be no use to me.

A pebble doesn't need an actual diving suit, says Baby Pierre, sulkily.

But you still wish to come. What could you contribute to the sea dragon expedition? asks Gaius.

Baby Pierre tries to think what he could contribute to the sea dragon expedition.

His daddy, says Kobo.

What? It's a rare event when Kobo the fossilised clam comes out of her shell.

Pardon? says Gaius. Was that you, Kobo?

Yes, says Kobo. I couldn't help overhearing. Baby Pierre has an asset I doubt you've considered. His daddy.

Ageless lobster, says Gaius. Hmm.....yes, but Ageless is a crustacean. He probably eats sea dragons.

He does, says Baby Pierre. He eats sea dragons. So he'd know how to find them.

Good point, says Gaius. Well done, Kobo. How would you like to come?

I'D like to come, says Baby Pierre. Not her. She's old. She never goes anywhere.

Not so, says Kobo. I've been here and there. The beach. A bicycle race. East Blaxland, in a handbag. But I've never been to Perth. At least not since the Permian-Triassic extinction. Beyond that I have no recollection.......

Goodness me, says Gaius. That's quite far enough. And of course there was no Perth in those days. Tell me, do you have a diving suit?

No, but I do have a Kindle, says Kobo.

Wonderful, says Gaius. We shall have something to do in the quiet times. Sweezus is coming. And Arthur. Neither of them have a Kindle. At least I don't think so. What are you reading?

Indelible Ink, says Kobo. Not sure if I like it. It's about a middle class woman who starts getting tattoos.

Gaius looks vaguely sympathetic. He too has read books on uncomfortable subjects.

Baby Pierre sees his chances of joining the sea dragon expedition diminish by the second.

........


Sweezus has finished tweaking his article. Arthur comes in.

Finished? says Arthur. Want to come out for a drink?

Pablo gone? asks Sweezus.

Yes, says Arthur. Gone to the airport. Got a lift with Ray and Terence.

Terence? says Sweezus. Terence is with Ray?

They're going to Melbourne, says Arthur. I thought you knew that.

I knew Ray was, says Sweezus. But Terence? He can't go. I'm supposed to be like, in loco parentis.

Only if he's Spanish, says Arthur.

He is fricken' Spanish! says Sweezus. We're not the same person!

Calm down, says Arthur. Ray's going to drop him at the Marxism Conference. Then he'll be with his grandpa.

I don't trust Ray Moon, mutters Sweezus. He's hated me ever since that collection box incident.

You needed that money, says Arthur.

Yeah, says Sweezus. I did too. Oh YEAH, that reminds me! Gaius is paying for the Perth trip. He's got royalty money. Now what d'ya reckon?

I'm definitely in, says Arthur. Sea dragons it is. Remember that sea dragon postcard I sent you?

The one you sent me from Tassie? Dude, I've still got it, somewhere.

Sweezus and Arthur go out for a drink on the high of this sweet recollection.



No comments: