Tuesday, June 16, 2020

Bad News And Bad News

The string is tied round the jellybean's widest circumference.

He is placed in the open, not far from the bird hide.

In the bird hide, Kierkegaard holds the other end of the string.

Gaius and Vello share a pair of binoculars they found in the camper.

No birds are in evidence.

No birds yet, says Terence. Want me to make bird sounds?

Not in here, says Gaius. Just keep your eyes peeled.

Squee-squee!

I heard something, says Vello. A squee-squee!

The emu-wren call, says Gaius. This is promising.

When do I run out? asks Terence.

You don't, says Gaius. You lie low and listen.

Squee-squee!

I'll never get a parrot, says Terence.

You already have a parrot, says Kierkegaard.

Quiet! says Gaius.

Terence is stricken. Yes! He does have a parrot! Alexander-Red-Hook!

Where is she? cries Terence.

I'll take Terence back to the camper, says Vello. We'll find his parrot.

Keep a low profile, says Gaius. Watch out for the string.

Vello and Terence sneak out of the bird hide.

Vello steps over the string.

Terence decides to go under. He lifts up the string.

Hey! cries the jellybean. In which scenario does this happen?

A new one, says Terence. I go and find my old parrot.

I wasn't told, says the jellybean.

It doesn't involve you, says Vello.

He moved me! says the jellybean.

He moves all of us, says Vello. He's a manipulative child.

Vello replaces the jellybean in his old position.

He and Terence go back to the camper.

Paloma is there.

I'm just packing up now, says Paloma. Anything of yours here?

My parrot, says Terence. I forgot it.

Perhaps that's just as well, says Paloma. I have bad news.

No you don't, says Terence. Bad News is tied up near the bird hide with string.

We borrowed a short length of your string, dear lady, says Vello.

Hardly borrowed, says Paloma. I assume that you cut it. And I do have bad news. Lily has taken your crab back to Adelaide. I've just had a text from my husband.

No harm done, says Vello. I assume the crab was willing.

She wouldn't be, says Terence.

Look on the bright side, says Vello. She wasn't a parrot.

She knew parrot things, says Terence.

Lily is taking her to school for show and tell, says Paloma. Your crab will astonish the class with her knowledge of parrot things.

Terence is coming round to acceptance.

His crab-that-wasn't-a-parrot will astonish the class. A proud moment.

And Scenario Three promises him a new parrot.

A real one this time.

No comments: