Tuesday, June 9, 2020

Beware Marxists

Vello wakes up early. Very early. It's cold.

Where is he?

In a strange bunk, in a camper, with his holiday hat at his feet.

There is Kierkegaard, in a lower bunk, and Jim, Lily's dad, up the top.

Gaius is snoring under a table.

Ah yes. He is here on a visit. He brought his tent, but lent it to the children.

And the seed-planting mother.

Vello gets out of his bunk, grabs his hat, pulls on his camping boots and goes outside.

Except for the cold, it is delightful. The dawn light cuts through the trees. It reminds him of Ferney.

Perhaps he will spot a rare bird. Or some other creature.

He stands still, hoping to spot something unusual.

Boo! says Terence, poking his head through the tent flaps.

You still have those two Smarties on your head, says Vello.

Good, says Terence. And soon I'm getting unicorn pyjamas.

I came outside in the hopes of spotting something unusual, says Vello.

Me too, says Terence.

I suppose I look somewhat unusual, says Vello.

No, says Terence. You look like you.

What about the hat? asks Vello.

I used to have one like that, says Terence. Grandpa Marx bought it for me in Melbourne. I lost it.

Bad luck, says Vello.

Bad people took it off me, says Terence, remembering the bad people.

Were you by any chance at the Marxist Conference? asks Vello.

Yes, says Terence.

Ahah! says Vello. Beware people who think property is theft.

Lily is GIVING me her pyjamas, says Terence. She doesn't like them.

Why is that? asks Vello.

They've got horns, says Vello.

You don't say? says Vello. That must be uncomfortable. Well, are you coming inside?

No, says Terence. I'm going to look for my old red jelly bean. It talked. And I swallowed it, And then it jumped out of my mouth and into a bush I remember.

I don't think you should go on your own, says Vello. You might not remember.

I'm SURE I remember, says Terence. It was through the gap I made with my stick on the other side of the muddy puddle but just a bit further.

I'll come with you, says Vello.

He is feeling benevolent, even fatherly, for some reason.

Call it the holiday spirit.

He and Terence set off to look for the jelly bean together.


No comments: