Thursday, June 11, 2020

One Or Two Stab Holes

The jellybean is refusing to cooperate.

But Vello will not be defeated. He turns on the charm.

An interesting life you must have led, says Vello.

Pah! says the jellybean.

My own life has also been interesting, says Vello.

So has mine, says Terence.

I spent some time in the Bastille, says Vello.

I used to live in a palace, says Terence.

Vello nods at Terence. Good. Terence is playing along.

The jellybean HAS led an interesting life for a jellybean.

It decides to reveal it.

I began life as a spoonful of sugar, says the jellybean.

Red sugar? scoffs Terence.

Vello frowns.

BEGAN life! says the jellybean. Allow me to tell my own story.

How long is this story? asks the yellow-rumped thornbill. I have things to do.

I haven't even listed my ingredients, says the jellybean.

What if I come back later? suggests the thornbill.

What if we do the reenactment and then you can leave, says Vello. Terence and I will stay and listen to the jellybean's fascinating story.

You're intelligent, for a human, says the jellybean. And I do like your hat.

I wear it when I'm on holiday, says Vello. So, will you do it?

Agreed, says the jellybean.

The yellow-rumped thornbill prepares to stab the jellybean for a second time.

NOOO! cries the jellybean. Not like that!

I understand the jellybean's concerns, says Vello. He has a ready-made hole from the last time he was impaled on your bill. He doesn't need another one.

No, I don't need another one, says the jellybean.

Vello picks up the jellybean, and assists the thornbill to insert its bill into the hole it made earlier.

Next, Vello snaps a photo. It's a winner.

Am I in it? asks Terence.

The top of your head is, says Vello. I might have to crop it.

No, don't crop it, says Terence.

The jellybean is removed from the bill of the thornbill.

Can I go now? asks the thornbill.

Certainly, and thank you, says Vello.

The thornbill flies off.

Okay, says Terence. Mouth, tell us your story.

Is it just a mouth? asks Vello.

(Kierkegaard would have known this).

Yes, says Terence. That's why it talks.

But, says Vello. If it's just a mouth, how did it see my holiday hat?

This is worth pursuing.


No comments: