Monday, June 22, 2020

Tiddle Wriggle Twitch

Vello gets back first.

Those binoculars, says Vello.

What about them? asks Gaius. Does Paloma want them back?

I believe so, says Vello, but she has already gone back to Adelaide.

Then we'll keep them, says Gaius.

That's what Terence said. I'm surprised at you, says Vello.

Not in perpetuum, says Gaius. Just until we next see her. I suppose she has Terence's shorts.

No, she doesn't, says Kierkegaard. Here he is now, with them on.

Terence enters the bird hide, in his gecko shorts.

That's better, says Gaius. I expect you feel much more comfortable.

I LOVE these shorts, says Terence. So do parrots.

Parrots are unlikely to love shorts, says Kierkegaard.

THESE shorts, says Terence. Because of the geckos.

You can hardly make them out now, says Gaius. All the geckos have faded.

Even E-mews, says Terence. One came right up to me.

Really? says Gaius. What did it look like?

Brave, says Terence. It pecked a squashed ant off my leg and flew away laughing.

Attracted by the ant, not the geckos, says Gaius.

You're a stickler, says Terence.

For the truth, yes, says Gaius.

It's not a tadpole, says Terence. What is it?

He thought a stickler was some sort of tadpole, says Vello.

He must have been thinking of a tiddler or a wriggler, says Gaius.

Were you? asks Kierkegaard.

No, says Terence. But I am now.

Or a stickleback, says Gaius. Why were you talking about sticklers anyway?

Vello said you were one, says Terence.

I was stickling up for you, Gaius, says Vello. Ha-ha. Stickling up. Do you get it?

But Gaius pursues the original insult.

About what?

I simply said you would not think it right to keep the binoculars, says Vello. But it seems I was wrong.

So you're a wriggler, says Terence.

I have already explained that, says Gaius. Holding onto them is a practical but temporary measure.

I agree, says Kierkegaard. No point in pedalling all the way back to Adelaide now to return them.

He puts up the binoculars, adjusts them.

He sees sky. He looks lower.

Red brown branches, spiky thin leaves, obscuring (but not entirely) six filamentous feathers, twitching.


No comments: