Thursday, June 4, 2020

Uff! Bananas!

Paloma cuts up the bananas.

Terence and Lily take them outside.

I wish we were staying overnight, says Lily. We could spy on the bandicoots.

I'm staying overnight, says Terence.

I'm not, says Lily. At least I don't think so.

Ask, says Terence.

They go back inside.

Is it still raining? asks Paloma.

Not much, says Lily.

That's good, says Paloma, perhaps it'll stop altogether.

Can we stay overnight? asks Lily.

No, says Paloma. We have to go home.

We're staying, says Vello. I have brought a small tent to sleep in.

Is it big enough for your friends? asks Paloma.

Unfortunately not, says Vello. Possibly, one of them.

There is always the bird hide, says Gaius.

I wish we were staying, says Lily. We might see the bandicoots.

That would be lovely, says Paloma. But I didn't bring toothbrushes or pyjamas. And what would we have for dinner? And what would your dad say?

It seems she has thought about it already.

Please, please! says Lily.

All right, I'll phone dad, says Paloma. He can bring takeaway, and our pyjamas.

Lucky, says Terence.

Why am I lucky? asks Lily.

Pyjamas, says Terence.

Kierkegaard is thinking the same.

.....

An hour later, night has fallen.

Jim has arrived with toothbrushes, pyjamas and four pizzas.

This enough food? asks Jim.

Too much dad, says Lily. Which pyjamas did you bring?

Unicorn pyjamas, says Jim.

Dad! says Lily.

Kierkegaard produces the sandwiches from the café.

A fine addition to the feast, says Gaius.

He pokes at the sandwiches. Ugh! Tomato! No! Excellent! This one is plain cheese.

You don't like tomato? asks Paloma.

He believes they are poisonous, says Vello.

I do, says Gaius. But don't let me stop you eating tomato.

I'm surprised you eat pizza, says Jim.

It's only the seeds, says Gaius.

.....

Can me and Terence sleep in the tent? asks Lily.

We don't have a tent, says Paloma.

But HE does, says Lily.

HE's sleeping in it, says Paloma.

We'd fit, says Terence.

Vello looks alarmed.

What if Jim sleeps in the tent with you? says Paloma.

I don't think... says Vello.

No, says Jim. Nor do I.

.....

Later.

Rain patters on the roof of the camper.

It is peaceful inside.

Except for the sounds of men snoring.

Hurrr-sneee! Uch! Uhhhhuh! and so on.

Jim, Vello, Gaius, and Kierkegaard are asleep in three bunks and under a table.

(Gaius is under the table. Something Romans don't mind).


.....

In the tent, Paloma tells stories to Terence and Lily.

Once upon a time....


.....

A short distance away, a solitary bandicoot sniffs the night air.

Uff! Bananas!

No comments: