Friday, June 19, 2020

Infant Scientist Ruins Everything

What's going on back there? asks the parrot.

Back where? asks Terence.

Where the string came from, says the parrot.

The camper, says Terence. Nothing. It's going away.

You don't fool me, says the parrot. It's coming from those bushes.

We're trying to catch an E-mew, says Terence. With a jellybean on a string.

So that was a jellybean, says the parrot.

Was? says Terence. Where is it?

I dropped it, says the parrot. Right there.

It points down at Terence's feet.

Terence moves sideways, and looks at the spot on which he was standing..

This is what he sees.

A flattened bean shape, studded with crazed sugar fragments, almost transparent, but for traces of pink.

That's not it, says Terence.

The parrot doesn't reply.

Don't you believe me? asks Terence.

I know what I know, says the parrot.

So do I, says Terence. Would you like to know what I know?

No, says the parrot. Well okay. I'm not doing anything.

I'm a scientist, says Terence. I know all about crabs. Before that I knew all about parrots.

I'm a parrot, says the parrot. What kind am I?

Not a real one, says Terence. A real one is grey and says pruu.

That sounds like a feral pigeon, says the parrot.

They can sound like anything, says Terence. I used to live on a palace.

With the pigeons, says the parrot. What happened?

I fell off and became a scientist, says Terence.

The parrot is losing interest.

Okay. I'll be off now. If I see any feral pigeons I'll let them know you're watching for them from a bird hide.

But..... says Terence. Don't you want to...?

No, it doesn't.

Terence tramps back to the bird hide.

What's the matter? asks Gaius.

I'll never get a new parrot, says Terence. And I stepped on the jellybean. Everything's ruined.

Did you speak to the parrot? asks Vello.

Yes, says Terence. I probably shouldn't have told him I was a scientist.

You told him that? asks Vello.

And I told him he wasn't a real parrot, says Terence.

Why would you tell him that? asks Vello.

To prove it, says Terence.


No comments: