Tuesday, June 30, 2020

Kierkegaard And Angelina

Find somewhere to sit, children, says Mrs Bennett. Mr Kierkegaard will talk to you while you eat lunch.

Kierkegaard is beset by anxiety.

He knows little of children.  What will he say?

He stands, thinking.

You'd better start talking soon, says the girl who looks like Lily. We eat fast.

Leanne! says Mrs Bennett.

Perhaps the children would like to ask questions, says Kierkegaard.

Perhaps, says Mrs Bennett. But usually one gives a talk, then invites questions.

Of course, says Kierkegaard. I shall commence by speaking of the importance of subjective truth and self-becoming.

Perhaps you could use terms suitable for children, says Mrs Bennett.

Certainly, says Kierkegaard. I shall describe an imaginary situation. Let us say, I am engaged to be married.

Who to? asks Leanne.

Is doesn't matter, says Kierkegaard.

It does, says Leanne.

The lady is imaginary, says Kierkegaard.

Then how about we make up a name, says Mrs Bennett.

Angelina, says Leanne's best friend, Chloe.

That's my name, Chloe, says Mrs Bennett. Is it all right if you are engaged to be married to Angelina, Mr Kierkegaard?

Kierkegaard is not at all happy being engaged to Angelina. But it seems impolite to object.

Angelina, says Kierkegaard. We are engaged. We are happy. But then I start thinking. I'm happy now but if I get married I will cut off all other possibilities. Perhaps this is not who I am.

It isn't! says Terence. You said you were imaginary.

Ha ha! laugh the children.

Stop laughing, children, says Mrs Bennett. It's rude. Mr Kierkegaard is a philosopher. That means he likes to think about different possibilities. In this story he is thinking about whether or nor it is right for him to get married. It's a big decision.

Thank you, Angelina, says Kierkegaard. Shall I go on?

I think the children have finished their sandwiches now, says Mrs Bennett. It's time to pick up sticks and return to our school.

I thought this was your school, says Kierkegaard.

Mount Compass School is our school, says Mrs Bennett. This is our School Swamp. We're very lucky to have it.

Indeed, says Kierkegaard. And now, I suppose I should be getting back to my colleagues.

Did you get married? asks Mrs Bennett.

No, says Kierkegaard.

Oh, says Mrs Bennett. Did you instead self-become?

I'm still in the process, says Kierkegaard.

Aren't we all, says Mrs Bennett.

The children start closing their lunch boxes, and packing them into their back packs

Will one of them drop a pencil?

Terence is waiting.


No comments: