Thursday, June 25, 2020

The Opposite Of Me

MAN! squeaks the emu-wren.

That's just Gaius, say Terence.

What's he doing? asks the emu-wren.

Coming, says Terence.

Then I'm off, says the emu-wren.

He's probably coming to get me, says Terence. Not you.

Are you endangered? asks the emu-wren.

Not these days, says Terence.

That's the opposite of me, says the emu-wren. I am these days.

We should stick together, says Terence.

Why? asks the emu-wren. What would that do?

We'd be equal, says Terence. I'd be me, and you'd be my parrot.

I wouldn't... begins the emu-wren.

He is interrupted by Gaius.

Wonderful, Terence! says Gaius. The emu-wren lets you come close.

We were looking for the poo, says Terence. I don't want it, but he does.

Fascinating. Ask him why, says Gaius.

Because it's going to be on the weather, says Terence.

And it might win a prize, says the emu-wren.

It's the photo that might be on the weather, says Gaius. And there are no prizes.

What about for the original? asks the emu-wren.

We're looking for the original, says Terence.

Let me see the bottoms of your feet, says Gaius.

But Terence won't. He doesn't want anything discovered.

He shuffles his feet on the grass.

Never mind, says Gaius. It's not important. What is important is this breakthrough.

Yes, says Terence. This breakthrough. I'll have to feed him. He only eats ants.

I don't, says the emu-wren. I eat insects and spiders.

And how many would you estimate there are of you, in this area? asks Gaius.

One, says the emu-wren. Wait, is it August?

Not yet, says Gaius. By my reckoning it's not yet July.

One then, says the emu-wren.

What happens in August? asks Terence.

Hey-hey! says the emu-wren You don't want to know.

Breeding season, says Gaius. You needn't be coy around Terence.

No, says Terence. I know about breeding seasons. You have to NOT ruin the eggs.

That's a nice thing to say, says the emu-wren.

I know, says Terence.


No comments: