Saturday, June 6, 2020

The Solitary Creature

Get back! says the bandicoot! I'm a solitary creature.

We know, says Lily.

I didn't, says Terence. What's a solitary creature?

One that prefers to forage alone, says the bandicoot.

But it looks like you fell over, says Lily.

Slipped, says the bandicoot. On this banana.

Ha ha! laughs Terence. Like a CLOWN!

Would you like a hand? asks Lily. Just to help you stand upright?

Okay, says the bandicoot.

Lily advances.

Nice pyjamas, says the bandicoot.

Bit babyish, says Lily.

Unicorns, says the bandicoot. Do you know why they're so popular?

No, says Lily. Do you?

I've got a theory, says the bandicoot. It's to do with the horn.

Show me your foot, says Lily. Yuck! it's all stuck up with banana. Let me wipe it.

No, says the bandicoot.

What about the horn? asks Terence.

Girls like them, says the bandicoot.

No they don't, says Lily.

They don't know they like them, says the bandicoot. It's Freudian.

Luckily Alexander-Red-Hook has remained in the tent.

She might have demolished this theory.

Two of your toes are fused together, says Lily.

That's just normal, says the bandicoot.  Five toes on each foot, and the second and third toes on the hind feet fused together.

What's that for? asks Lily.

I don't know, says the bandicoot.

Lily has wiped some banana on the sleeve of her pyjamas.

Do you like bananas? asks Lily.

I'm omniverous, says the bandicoot.

What's NIVEROUS? asks Terence.

He eats anything, says Lily. Insects, spiders, worms, plants, whatever.

There's a bird in our tent, says Terence. A parrot.

Don't listen to him. There isn't, says Lily.

I can hear something moving, says the bandicoot.

It's my mum, says Lily.

Well, I'm off, says the bandicoot.

Have a good night, says Lily.

Enjoy your unicorn pyjamas, says the bandicoot.

They're really just horses, says Lily. That's what girls like.




No comments: