Tuesday, July 7, 2020

A Quiet Pencil O

Angelina gives Kierkegaard the nose.

Where's the pencil? asks Kierkegaard.

I gave it to Terence, says Gaius.

Yes, Terence has Ronnie, the pencil.

Terence inserts Ronnie into the back end of the dog pencil sharpener.

Hey! says Angelina. That's not for you.

I'm just testing, says Terence. Seeing if Ronnie fits into the hole.

Ronnie does, and now the dog pencil sharpener looks funny.

Terence holds it up so the grownups can see.

Look. The pencil looks like it's sticking out of ......

We know, says Angelina. That's the idea.

Ronnie remains silent

But he has his own opinion.

Can I just sharpen him a LITTLE? asks Terence.

I don't mind if we don't use the nose, says Kierkegaard.

Terence takes this as a yes. He twists Ronnie.

O, says Ronnie.

A quiet pencil O, heard by no one but Terence.

It said O, says Terence.

No it didn't, says Vello. Keep turning.

O, O,  says Ronnie.

Terence pulls Ronnie out of the dog's pretend anus.

Where's your voice coming from? asks Terence.

O says Ronnie.

Say it again, says Terence.

O, says Ronnie.

This time Terence detects where the Os come from.

They come from the O, in Ronnie.

The grown ups are unconcerned with this development.

They are discussing some sort of arrangement.

Angelina is thinking of going to Kangaroo Island for the rest of the fortnight. Would Kierkegaaard like to go too?

Kierkegaard would like to, but he feels obligated to Gaius.

No no, you go, says Gaius. Vello is here . He can help me.

No I can't, says Vello. I have to get back to the office. But why not ask Arthur?

Wonderful idea, says Gaius. Where's my phone?

Here, says Kierkegaard.

Gaius calls Arthur. Explains the situation.

Sure, says Arthur. I've been wanting to go back to Kangaroo Island, ever since it got burnt.

Not us, says Gaius. Kierky and his new lady friend are going. I need you here.

Where's here? asks Arthur.

Mount Compass, says Gaius.

Sorry, says Arthur.

I suppose we could go to KI, says Gaius. If your heart's set on it. 

O, says Kierkegaard, softly.


No comments: