Thursday, July 2, 2020

You Will Look Like A Wally

Vello is tired of bird spotting.

He puts on his holiday hat.

Going somewhere? asks Gaius.

Just stretching my legs, says Vello.

Vello stands up. The holiday hat is now visible above the bird hide.

Several parrots are startled, and fly off.

Never mind, says Gaius. Just common red-rumped parrots.

I know how they feel, says Vello. How long have we sat here bird spotting?

Too long, without a pencil, says Gaius.

I wonder if Kierkegaard has found Terence, says Vello. I might stroll in the direction of the arrow.

Very well, says Gaius. I'll hold the fort here.

Gaius is now alone in the bird hide, with no pencil, and no phone.

He hopes nothing turns up that might need recording.

Vello strolls through the low vegetation, avoiding the prickles.

It occurs to him that he could call Kierkegaard, who has Gaius's phone.

Ring ring.

Yes? says Kierkegaard, suspiciously.

It's me, Vello, says Vello. I'm coming to meet you. Did you find Terence?

I did, says Kierkegaard. He was at the School Swamp.

Ha ha! laughs Vello. A School Swamp. Who came up with that one?

Mount Compass School, says Kierkegaard. It's for educational purposes.

Of course it is, says Vello. Where are you exactly?

HERE! says Terence, who has seen Vello, and run up to meet him. Look, a pencil!

Very nice, says Vello. Looks like it's spent too long in the School Swamp.

It's called Ronnie, says Terence.

Ronnie is blunt, says Vello.

No, he isn't, says Terence.

But he is, because Terence has been writing on his arm with Ronnie, and made Ronnie blunt.

Kierkegaard catches up with Terence.

Ah, Vello, says Kierkegaard. There you are.

I wasted a call, says Vello. I would have bumped into you regardless.

Yes, but it is opportune, says Kierkegaard.

What's opportune? asks Vello.

The subject of phone calls, says Kierkegaard. I have a dilemma.

I love other people's dilemmas, says Vello. Spit it out.

I met a lady teacher in the School Swamp, says Kierkegaard. Named Angelina. We quite hit it off.

They're getting married, says Terence.

We are NOT! says Kierkegaard.

But you proposed to her. You idiot! says Vello.

Not even that, says Kierkegaard. It was an imaginary scenario.

YOU may have thought so, says Vello. She may not.

We exchanged phone numbers, says Kierkegaard.

Is that all? says Vello. Hardly a dilemm.....a-ha-ha! How delicious! It's Gaius phone!

Yes, says Kierkegaard. I'm afraid she might try to call me and HE will answer.

He will, says Vello. She will be most alarmed.

Perhaps I should call her, and explain, says Kierkegaard.

You will look like a wally, says Vello.

I know, says Kierkegaard, and when should I do it? She and her class have returned to Mount Compass School for lesson seven.

You shouldn't call during lesson seven, says Vello.

That's what I thought, says Kierkegaard.

Wait till she knocks off, says Vello.

Kierkegaard thinks this is sensible advice, except.... what time does school finish ....? and won't Gaius want his phone back?


No comments: