Friday, July 24, 2020

What's That Donut Doing?

After five minutes lying with his head on the donut, Saint Roley feels better.

He sits up. A small crowd has gathered.

It just walked in, says a woman. It followed that kid.

I'm the kid, says Terence. And the bird's called Saint Roley.

Mind if I take a photo? asks a man with a camera.

Can I be in it? asks Terence.

No, says Saint Roley.

Sounded like it said no, says the woman.

It DID say no, says a girl, who looks familiar.

It's not a parrot, says the woman.

It used to be, says Terence.

But not in actuality, says Gaius.

A café staff member comes over.

Sorry. That bird can't be in here. I'm going to try and shoo it out. Stand clear, people.

She flaps her arms at Saint Roley.

Saint Roley stands up with dignity.

Don't worry, I'm going.

He stalks back to the doorway, and hops onto the railing.

What's that donut doing? asks the staff member.

Being a pillow, says Terence. We turned it upside down so Saint Roley wouldn't get sticky.

I'll get some tongs, says the staff member. And a wet cloth.

What a debacle, says Gaius. I almost wish I'd paid extra for Saint Roley.

He's better outside, says Arthur.

Remember me? says the girl who looked familiar.

No, says Arthur.

Louisa, says Louisa. I played the trumpet in the school band when you arrived here four years ago.

You look older, says Arthur.

(She would).

You don't, says Louisa. Not pretending to be Jacques Cousteau again?

No, says Arthur. We're here to inspect the recovery.

Hello, Gaius, says Louisa. Hello, Terence. That was your bird, I bet.

He resigned, says Terence. Now we're equal.

That's nice, says Louisa. Well, I'm involved in the recovery effort. Perhaps I could show you some of the things that we're doing.

Wonderful, says Gaius. We've brought bikes, and this time I have a new pencil.

What about a sharpener? asks Louisa.

Arthur has a knife, says Gaius. We also have a jar of smoked oysters and a turnip. The pencil is stuck in the turnip at present, but we're planning on eating the turnip for supper.

Bring it all to my place, says Louisa. I'll cook.



No comments: