Thursday, July 23, 2020

The Kindness Of Strangers

It's coolish on the SPOKI.

Gaius and Arthur have found seats inside.

Terence looks out through a window.

Saint Roley is perched on a railing.

He's making a SIGNAL! says Terence.

Go and see what he wants, says Gaius.

Terence goes out, through a doorway.

I feel a bit peckish, says Gaius. Go and see what's available.

Arthur goes off to see what's available.

Comes back with donuts, chips, beer, and a raspberry cordial.

That would have cost a pretty penny, says Gaius.

Gratis, says Arthur. They recognised me.

As what? says Gaius. A former Tour de France cyclist?

As Jacques Cousteau, says Arthur. Remember when we came here four years ago?

I remember, but you were not Jacques Cousteau, says Gaius.

Not for long, says Arthur. Long enough to get Sweezus and me free tickets.

Yes I remember that now, says Gaius, picking up a donut. Sweezus was supposed to be David Suzuki. The whole town came out to greet you.

Including the mayor, says Arthur. Anyway, the cafe staff remembered.

Lucky for us, says Gaius. Everything is overpriced here. I've just paid two hundred and forty dollars for ourselves and two bicycles.

You should have told them you were David Suzuki, says Arthur.

I don't have your cheek, says Gaius. I did pretend Terence was younger than he is, though.

They look through the window, at the mention of Terence.

Terence has climbed the railing to speak to Saint Roley.

Tch! says Gaius. Try and catch his eye!

Arthur bangs on the window.

Terence turns.

Arthur holds up the glass of red cordial.

Terence beams. And climbs down from the railing.

He comes back inside.

Yay! says Terence, slurping his red drink through a straw. Proper slurping. Up and down, in and out, making bubbles.

Saint Roley has followed him in through the doorway.

Look! An oystercatcher! shouts someone.

Saint Roley had hoped to walk in unnoticed. He is not feeling well. He had asked Terence to help him.

And Terence was going to.

You don't look well, Saint Roley, says Gaius, getting up and walking towards him

I think I ate a dodgy mollusc, says Saint Roley. I just need to rest here inside.

Certainly, says Gaius. You do realise I haven't paid for you? We shall pretend you're relying on the kindness of strangers.

Fine by me, says Saint Roley. Mind if I lie down on your seating? Wait. Is that a donut?

That's your pillow, says Terence. Put your head down on the donut.

Could you turn it over first? asks Saint Roley.

Ahrh! says Gaius. What about the icing!

Too late. One can't always prevent ferry seats getting sticky.

No comments: