Saturday, July 18, 2020

White And Bruise Purple

Arthur speeds up, until he is level with Gaius.

Arthur! Perfect timing! says Gaius.

Arthur gets off his bike.

Run out of underpants?

Ha ha! No, says Gaius. Well, yes. I hope you've brought some.

In the back pack with the hammer, says Arthur. And the turnip.

Turnip, what turnip? asks Gaius. Not one of mine surely?

It was loose, says Arthur. It practically jumped into my hand.

Let me see it, says Gaius. It might make a tasty supper.

Arthur opens his back pack. Pulls out the jar of smoked oysters

Those are mine, says Saint Roley, but you're welcome to share them.

No, no, says Gaius. You'll be hungry after your journey.

I meant you and Arthur, says Saint Roley. I'm hanging out for fresh molluscs. When do we leave?

Soon, says Gaius.

Arthur pulls out the turnip.

Gaius inspects it. White and bruise-purple, smooth skin.

What a beauty! says Gaius. Well done, Arthur.

Let's see! says Terence.

He grabs at the turnip.

Watch it! says the turnip.

You need a face, says Terence. I'll get Ronnie.

No face! says Gaius. We're eating that turnip! And Ronnie's lead is broken. I couldn't find the pencil sharpener.

I've got a knife, says Arthur.

(A knife!).

Good man, says Gaius. Shall we stroll back to the tent? Vello left it for us. We'll take it to Kangaroo Island.

I saw Vello, says Arthur. He gave me his water bottle.

Whatever for? asks Gaius.

I'd used all my water, says Arthur. I ate a cheese and spinach pasty, and threw up several kilometres later.

Those things are too heavy, says Gaius. You should have chosen something lighter.

You know me, says Arthur.

I do, says Gaius I suppose you enjoyed the whole thing. Got a mad poem out of it. All about vomiting.

Arthur shrugs. He could have. But he didn't.

They stroll back to the tent, and the bird hide.

Gaius describing the comical nose pencil sharpener.

Arthur listening, and wheeling his bike

Saint Roley flying, and dreaming of creamy grey shellfish.

Terence looking for a sharp stick.

The turnip, hoping Terence won't find one.

No comments: