Friday, July 17, 2020

The Potato Box Paradox

Good to see you, Saint Roley, says Gaius.

Good to see you, says Saint Roley. And good to see Terence again. He hasn't changed.

I did change, says Terence. But I changed back, because the bottoms kept unrolling.

He's referring to a pair of unicorn pyjamas, says Gaius.

I see, says Saint Roley. Perhaps they'd fit me?

Parrots can't wear unicorn pyjamas, says Terence.

I resigned as a parrot, says Saint Roley. Don't you remember?

You came back, says Terence.

Not as a parrot, says Saint Roley. As an acquaintance.

I KNEW it, says Terence.

On an equal footing, continues Saint Roley.

Excellent, says Gaius. It will do Terence good to adjust to a new relationship.

It won't, says Terence. Now he doesn't believe what I say.

When did I not believe what you said? asks Saint Roley.

About your stupid brother, not drowning, says Terence.

I explained about the Pointing Finger, says Saint Roley.

What's this? says Gaius, staring down the road, hoping to see a distant figure.

Terence forgets that I was in the potato box, along with my brother, says Saint Roley.

What? says Gaius. In a potato box?

You remember? says Saint Roley. We were young, our legs were spindly. We travelled in it.

Oh yes, in Saint Malo, says Gaius. You somehow ended up in the ocean.

The box became soggy, says Saint Roley. It disintegrated. My brother found himself on the side with the Pointing Finger.

This Way Up, says Gaius.

This Way Up, says Saint Roley. But it wasn't pointing up. It was pointing towards the horizon.

Up means up, says Terence. Think about that for a minute.

My brother took it as a sign, says Saint Roley. Stay on board. The Pointing Finger will guide you.

Whereas you... says Gaius.

My section of potato box was blank. It caught a wave, and floated towards the rocks where I was rescued by Arthur, says Saint Roley. The rest is history.

But what happened when he got to the horizon? asks Terence.

It's the horizon, says Saint Roley. You don't ever get there.

Terence thinks about that for a minute.

Arthur appears, (on the horizon).

At last! It's Arthur, cries Gaius.


No comments: