Saturday, July 4, 2020

The One You Choose

Just do it, says Vello.

Yes, I'll just do it, thinks Kierkegaard.

He calls Angelina (aka Mrs Bennett).

Hello, says Angelina.

It's me, the man who.... begins Kierkegaard.

I know, says Angelina. I added you, remember. You're Sören.

Wonderful, says Kierkegaard.

(How well this is going).

Now what?

I was wondering....says Kierkegaard.

Let me guess, says Angelina. Something philosophical?

In a manner of speaking, says Kierkegaard. It could be described as another imaginary scenario.

He looks up. Vello gives him a thumbs down.

I mean, says Kierkegaard, I have to make a confession.

You ARE married, says Angelina.

No, says Kierkegaard. This isn't my phone.

Then whose phone is it? asks Angelina.

One of my colleagues, says Kierkegaard. But don't worry. I've decided to buy my own phone very shortly.

Great, says Angelina. So whose contact list am I on?

Gaius Plinius Secundus, says Kierkegaard. A respectable person. In fact, he's the reason I'm calling you now. He needs a pencil sharpener.

You realise how disappointing this call is becoming? says Angelina.

No? says Kierkegaard. Is it disappointing?

I thought you might have been calling to ask me out, says Angelina. Not to confess that you've added me to the contact list of a person who needs a pencil sharpener.

When you put it like that, says Kierkegaard, it sounds awful. I'm so sorry. I tend to get anxious with women.

Vello gives him a thumbs up. Honesty. Women like that.

Never mind, then, says Angelina. School's finished. I've got two weeks holiday. Where are you?

In a bird hide in the Stipiturus Conservation Park, says Kierkegaard. Not far from the road. Near where the volunteers have been planting Mount Compass oak bush and Osborn's eyebright.

Vello raises an eyebrow. Great touch! Local knowledge.

I'll bring my three best novelty pencil sharpeners, says Angelina.

Why three? asks Kierkegaard.

A test, says Angelina. The one you choose will tell me a lot about you.

They're not really for me, says Kierkegaard. They're for Gaius.

Him too, says Angelina.

No comments: