Friday, July 31, 2020

Will There Be Stars In The Sky?

Now, says Louisa. Plans for tomorrow.

And plans for tonight, says Gaius. We planned on camping.

In our one man tent, says Arthur.

You can put it up in my back garden, says Louisa.

Thanks, says Arthur.

But you don't have to sleep in it, adds Louisa. I have a spare room.

We'll be fine in the tent, says Gaius. 

You'll be finer, says Arthur, if I take the spare room.

So that is decided.

Louisa puts the kettle on, for green tea.

You like green tea? asks Louisa.

Not at bedtime, says Gaius.

Never mind, says Louisa. I'll make you a cocoa.

What about me? asks Terence. Where am I sleeping?

I thought you didn't sleep, says Louisa.

I don't, says Terence. But I need somewhere to do it.

How about in the tent with Gaius? asks Louisa.

Hum, says Gaius. I suppose...

He can sit up with us, says Saint Roley. We're having a vigil.

Where are you having it? asks Louisa.

Out the front, says Saint Roley. On the verandah.

Can he? asks Louisa.

All right, says Gaius. But no playing the trumpet.

Yippee! says Terence. I'm having a vigil outside.

The grown ups begin making their plans for tomorrow.

They will cycle towards Flinders Chase at the western end of the island, stopping off first at Kingscote, for supplies. On the way they will keep their eyes open for Glossy black cockatoos and Southern rufous scrub birds.

They drink green tea and cocoa, and finish the blueberries. 

Saint Roley asks for the container.

He wishes to keep all ten turnip pieces together.

Terence is given the job of putting them in the container.

The turnip pieces are excited. 

To be in a blueberry container at night on the verandah for a vigil!

What is a vigil? And will Holy Ronnie come too? 

Will he complete his poetic entreaty?

Will there be stars in the sky?


No comments: