Thursday, April 8, 2021

Dare Or Lose

Gaius is at home, packing.

His phone rings.

Hello?

It's me, says Kierkegaard. I have a new phone. Is my washing dry yet?

How should I know? asks Gaius.

Never mind, says Kierkegaard, I'll be back soon to collect it. 

Collect it? says Gaius. Does that mean you're not staying?

Yes, says Kierkegaard. I've just called Angelina, and she's invited me to a Birding Day next Saturday.

And you accepted, says Gaius. 

Not to dare is to lose oneself, says Kierkegaard.

There are two ways of looking at that, says Gaius.

Kierkegaard is in an excited state, and can only see one way.

So you won't be coming to Hobart, says Gaius. 

Not yet, says Kierkegaard. 

Perhaps you'd better call Arthur, says Gaius. Let him know.

No need, says Kierkegaard, he's coming towards me.

How fortuitous, says Gaius.

Not really, says Kierkegaard. I'm right where we parted, outside the Apple store.

You bought an Apple? says Gaius. 

They seem popular, says Kierkegaard. There was a queue. Well, I'll be seeing you shortly.

He turns towards Arthur. 

I hope you haven't purchased my ticket to Hobart, says Kierkegaard.

Why would I? says Arthur. 

I thought you were organising everything, says Kierkegaard.

It's all a bit fluid, says Arthur. 

True, says Kierkegaard. Take me for example. I won't be coming. At least not with you.

And Katherine will, says Arthur. See what I mean about fluid. 

Katherine is not far behind him. She is carrying three or four large Kathmandu bags.

Arthur! says Katherine. Here's your new red jacket, and the Zip-off pants bottoms and your old shorts.

She hands him a bag.

Lucky his old shorts are in it. 

There were things in the pockets.


No comments: