Saturday, April 10, 2021

Will I Stand Out?

Gaius calls Arthur.

We'll need one more ticket, says Gaius.

Who for? asks Arthur.

Baudin, says Gaius. He refuses to travel in a lunch box.

Is he paying for his ticket? asks Arthur.

I fear not, says Gaius. Put it on my bank card.

Okay, says Arthur. It's fifty nine dollars.

Excellent, says Gaius. Is everything else in order?

Sure is, says Arthur. See you at the airport tomorrow.

Am I getting a seat to myself? asks Captain Baudin.

Yes, says Gaius. 

Will I stand out? asks Captain Baudin.

Probably, says Gaius. But we'll be wearing masks. And only removing them to drink cups of coffee, and eat snacks.

I won't eat or drink, says Baudin. I'll keep my mask on.

Very wise, says Gaius. 

He sits down at the kitchen table.

Ding dong. The doorbell.

It's David.

Kierko left yet? asks David.

Yes, says Gaius. 

Pity, says David. I wanted to show him my socks.

Whatever for? asks Gaius.

Katherine bought them in Kathmandu, says David. He lifts his trousers, to reveal the Pinnacle Sock System.

Wonderful, says Gaius. It looks like the System is nothing but two pairs of socks.

Not just two pairs of socks, says David. A thin inner sock and a protective outer sock. You can wear them together or separately.

Very nice, says Gaius. How much were they?

They were a gift, says David. She bought Arthur a jacket.

Did she? says Gaius. Your mother is generous.

She has a soft spot for Arthur, says David. Has he organised the tickets?

I believe so, says Gaius. We're meeting tomorrow at the airport. Baudin is coming.

Captain Baudin makes his way towards David's feet,  

I very much admire your Pinnacle Sock System, says Captain Baudin.

Yes, they are very good, says David.

I should like a pair for myself, says Captain Baudin.

There's no time for shopping, says Gaius. 

Captain Baudin's eyes glitter.

They aren't leaving until tomorrow. 

There is time for shopping.


No comments: