Saturday, April 3, 2021

Halloo-kakapoo

David has not yet come back with the drinks.

David's a dark horse, says Vello.

Indeed, says Gaius. I had no idea he was interested in coming with me to New Zealand.

Perhaps it was just a whim on the spur of the moment, says Vello.

I hope not, says Gaius. He might be useful.

David, useful? says Vello.

His Scots accent, says Gaius.

I have a Danish accent, says Kierkegaard. Might that be useful?

It could well be, says Gaius. 

New Zealanders have a New Zealand accent, says Sweezus. 

I know that, says Gaius. The vowels.

Yeah, but how come you reckon a person with a Scots or Danish accent will be useful? asks Sweezus.

I thought you always thought I was pretty useful, says Arthur.

You are irreplaceable, says Gaius. I trust you are coming?

Sure, says Arthur. 

He needs your French accent, says Sweezus.

More than that, says Arthur.

Certainly, more than that, says Gaius. I need you to obtain the necessary permits. You seem to have a knack for obtaining whatever is needed.

What permits do we need? asks Arthur.

Permits to enter Te Hauturu-o-Toi, says Gaius. A small island north east of Auckland. Kakapos are still to be found there. 

David returns with a tray full of glasses, re-filled with Wild Gin.

Well, David, says Vello. It seems you are going to the tiny island Te Hauturu-o-Toi, home of the kakapos.  And you'll be needing a permit.

Fear not. It's all in hand, says Gaius. Arthur is organising it.

All you need to bring is your Scots accent, says Vello. Hallooo-kakapoo! Ha ha!

You may laugh, says David. But I'm up for this adventure.

Me too, says Terence.

Except you won't be going, says Belle.


No comments: