Monday, April 12, 2021

Insouciance

Next morning, the travellers are due to meet at the airport.

David and Katherine arrive first.

They sit in the departure lounge, having checked in already.

Gaius arrives next, with Captain Baudin.

Nice hat, says David.

I borrowed it from Ageless, says Captain Baudin.

I take it you had no luck with the socks, says David.

None would fit my requirements, says Captain Baudin. But when faced with a problem, ignore it, that's my motto.

How well has that served you? asks Katherine.

Tolerably, says Captain Baudin. Of course I don't mean ignore it in the sense of .....

.....ignoring it, says David. Then why don't you say so?

David, says Katherine. I hope you're not going to be like this all the way to New Zealand.

Hobart, says David.

I merely adjust my focus, says Captain Baudin. 

You should see what is under his hat, says Gaius. 

Baudin lifts the rim of his red knitted hat. A blue strap attached to a head torch become visible.

A head torch! says Katherine. How forward looking!

Adjustable, says Captain Baudin. Three modes. High, low and red light option.

But the attention ends suddenly.

Arthur! says Gaius.  

Arthur has arrived, wearing his new lightweight jacket.

No back pack? says Gaius.

Travelling light, says Arthur. Everything I need's in my pockets.

Well done, says Katherine. I wish I could be so insouciant. My back pack is full of probable redundancies.

Any books? asks David.

No books, says Katherine. I thought you'd have brought one.

I haven't, says David. 

I'll buy one in Hobart, says Katherine.

PASSENGERS FOR HOBART PLEASE COME FORWARD. FOR YOUR OWN SAFETY PLEASE STAND 1.5 METRES APART IN THE QUEUE.

Captain Baudin stands up. Puts his mask on. Adjusts his head torch. Repositions his hat. Moves forward.

If there's to be a problem, now is the time to ignore it.


No comments: